Fried Kielbasa and Cabbage
Quick and easy Kielbasa and Cabbage is a super flavorful dinner that’s fantastic for weeknight dinners. This authentic Polish Kielbasa recipe is one of my favorite dinners and is straight from my grandfather’s kitchen. You’re gonna love this simple dinner.
Fried Kielbasa and Cabbage
I lived most of my life growing up on Kielbasa and cabbage in some form or another since I come from a large Polish family. It was like having hot dogs for dinner in a “normal” American home…..but our hot dogs were smoked sausages in the form of Polska Kielbasa….alongside a pile of the BEST EVER Potato Pierogis.
This easy to make Fried Kielbasa and Cabbage is one of the BEST easy recipes for dinner. It’s quick, simple and has the signature smokey, savory juiciness that everyone loves about this polish sausage.
What I love the most is the versatility in how to cook kielbasa….there really are no rules but my favorite way to cook kielbasa is to pan fry it…..in a lot of butter. It’s just amazingly dreamy that way.
What is Kielbasa?
Kielbasa is a type of meat sausage found commonly in Polish cuisine and is most often made of only pork. In American, it’s usually a u-shaped sausage that’s smoked and, also, made of pork.
You can also purchase fresh Polish Kielbasa, or white kielbasa, which is not as smokey in flavor and does need to be boiled first to cook it through before pan frying, grilling or roasting. You can also make your fresh kielbasa in the crock pot in a small bit of water.
Our favorite places to buy kielbasa in the Philadelphia area are Swiacki Meats and Czerw’s Polish Kielbasa. They are the best…if you’re in the area be sure to check it out….if it’s Easter, be prepared to stand in line. For a long time. But it’s worth the wait…I promise!
How To Cook It
Whether you buy fresh kielbasa or smoked kielbasa, kielbasa is super easy to cook. You can pan fry it, roast it, boil it or grill it. We even make kielbasa in the slow cooker for parties!
To pan fry kielbasa:
- Cut your kielbasa into serving sized pieces approximately 4-5 inches long. I like to score the sides of the kiebasa so they cook quickly.
- Melt 1-2 tablespoons butter in a skillet.
- Add the kielbasa to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the kielbasa and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your fried cabbage.
To Roast kielbasa:
- Cut your kielbasa into serving sized pieces and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bake the kielbasa in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve your baked kielbasa with fried cabbage, if desired.
To make your Kielbasa in the slow cooker:
- Place your kielbasa in the slow cooker either whole or cut into pieces.
- Add 1 cup of water and cover.
- Cook your kielbasa for 3-4 hours on high.
- Serve with fried cabbage, if desired.
Seriously….have you ever seen an easier dinner recipe. Ever. With that much flavor?
If you don’t want to make the fried cabbage, we also love this Kielbasa with sauerkraut….making it even easier to get on the table.
What to Serve With It
My favorite side dishes to serve alongside kielbasa are equally easy….try these reader favorites:
- The VERY Best Fried Cabbage recipe….so easy….so amazing!
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes, the ultimate OG.
- Super quick 10 minute Mac and Cheese
- Easy German Potato Salad
- Classic Coleslaw….not just for picnics
- Best EVER Mashed Potatoes
- My FAVORITE Smashed Potato Salad
Want even more quick dinner recipes? Try these family favorites:
- Easy Beef Cabbage Soup
- BEST Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
- Super quick Mongolian Beef Stir Fry
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Easy Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
So, that’s it….there’s a little piece of my childhood that you can bite into any night of the week. This Polish Kielbasa recipe is fast…it’s easy….and you’re going to crave it every single week.
And if you want even more easy dinner ideas….be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Easy Fried Kielbasa and Cabbage Recipe
- 1 lb smoked kielbasa, cut into 4 inch long pieces and scored
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups fried cabbage
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the kielbasa to the pan and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the kielbasa over and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Serve the kielbasa with the fried cabbage.
2 Comments on “Fried Kielbasa and Cabbage”
Tried this last night. Simple and delicious! Comfort food at its best.
I’m so glad you liked it! Totally on repeat here.