Easy Beef Cabbage Soup
A staple in so many of our local Jewish delis, this Easy Beef Cabbage Soup recipe is hearty and comforting. Made with beef brisket, fresh cabbage and bold, vibrant flavors, this simple stew is on the must make list almost every week.
Beef Cabbage Soup
Just a few days left in February and winter has returned with a gusty force. I’m back to craving all the soups and stews that are currently stocked in my freezer and curled up under a faux fur blanket staring at our leaf covered pool. Summer is a long ways off, so we’re going to make the most of it. One of my favorite ways to warm myself from the inside out is with this Easy Beef Cabbage Soup.
If you’ve ever heard about the cabbage soup diet back in the 80’s….this isn’t that cabbage soup recipe at all. This Beef Cabbage Soup is a copycat recipe from one of my favorite Jewish Delis….Hymie’s in Merion Station, PA. Their Cabbage Soup is simply amazing, loaded with flavor and big hunks of beef brisket. It’s soooo hearty and DELISH.
Their version is more of a Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup with beef in it…..it’s tangy and sweet (well, duh) with big chunks of carrots and celery. Though there are no tomatoes in this recipe, it has a tangy tomato-y flavor because of the tomato paste that I added.
How To Make Cabbage Soup
This easy Beef Cabbage Soup recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients you’ll find in just about any kitchen. The availability of ingredients makes this such a simple recipe to throw together on a moments notice.
- Cut the brisket into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Brown the beef brisket on all sides until a golden crust has formed.
- Remove the beef from the pot.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the pot. Cook until softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste and seasonings. Add the cabbage and stir to combine.
- Stir in the beef stock, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and bay leaf.
- Bring the soup to a boil and return the beef to the pot.
- Turn the heat to low and cover. Simmer the soup for 45-60 minutes.
- Serve immediately
Ingredients For Cabbage Soup
A lot of recipes for Beef Cabbage Soup are made with hamburger but this easy Beef Cabbage Soup recipe calls for brisket. I love the big beef flavor of brisket for this recipe and the meat becomes soft, tender and melt in your mouth delicious when it simmers in the soup.
Here are the ingredients for Beef Cabbage Soup:
- olive oil
- tomato paste
- italian seasoning
- beef stock
- balsamic vinegar
- worcestershire sauce
- brown sugar
- bay leaf
I, usually, have all of these ingredients available in my kitchen so this is always something that’s easy to whip up whenever I find we need something hearty to stave off the winter chill.
Can Beef Cabbage Soup be made in the slow cooker or Crock Pot?
YES! Making this Beef Cabbage Soup recipe in the slow cooker is one of my favorite ways to get dinner on the table without a fuss. Simply follow the instructions for browning the beef and then toss all the ingredients into your slow cooker or Crock Pot.
Cook the soup on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-7 hours and then serve! So easy to make either on the stove top or in your slow cooker.
How To Freeze Cabbage Soup
You can totally make a big batch of this Beef Cabbage Soup and freeze it in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
To reheat frozen Beef Cabbage Soup, simply either reheat on the stovetop (you can add additional beef stock, if necessary) or heat in the microwave until warmed through.
So, if you can’t get to MY favorite jewish deli to get your paws on my favorite Cabbage Soup, you can totally make it at home and it tastes just as amazing as Hymie’s version does. Think of it as a Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup with lots of tender beef. You will LOVE it…..I promise.
More Comfort Soup Recipes
- Easy Stuffed Cabbage Soup…just in case you bought too much cabbage. It happens. 🙂
- BEST EVER Vegetable Soup…our favorite here.
- Creamy Chicken Artichoke Soup
- Easy Beef Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Quick and easy Minestrone Soup Recipe
If you want more CABBAGE recipes….you have to try these super amazing Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls. They’re amazing and FREEZER FRIENDLY.
Get the Recipe: Easy Beef Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs beef brisket, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Season the brisket liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium/high heat. Add the brisket to the pot and brown on all sides, working in batches if necessary. Do not crowd the pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned beef to a platter or plate.
- Add the onion, celery and carrot to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until beginning to soften. Stir in the tomato paste and italian seasoning. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cabbage and beef stock. Bring the soup to a boil.
- Add the worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Return the beef to the pot and cover.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30-45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately