Grilled Chicken Spiedini with Garlic Butter Sauce
Made popular by Italian restaurants, Chicken Spiedini is made up of tender breaded chicken skewers with a buttery garlic butter sauce. Grilled until slightly charred, they’re moist, juicy and so easy to make.
Just say no to dishes….that’s my motto this summer. And the exact reason why I love cooking on the grill so much. These easy Grilled Chicken Spiedini have been on repeat for the past few weeks because they’re my new favorite thing to grill up.
Chicken kabobs and chicken skewer recipes are my favorite thing to make because they cook quickly and can be prepped in advance making weeknight dinners a breeze. This Chicken Spiedini recipe is no different. The flavor packed chicken marinade makes them tender, juicy and moist while the garlic butter sauce adds even more flavor so there’s rarely any leftover.
Chicken Spiedini is, basically, the Italian version of skewered chicken. Spiedini can be made with any meat or fish but in this case, we’re using chicken….obviously.
Typically, the chicken is coated in a light bread crumb before being grilled over an open fire. The outside of the chicken gets super crispy and slightly charred giving it a smokey flavor with a crunchy texture. It’s kind of a wonderful thing because it’s not common to grill breaded meats.
HOW TO MAKE SPIEDINI
This recipe is really easy and quick to make. I love prepping everything in advance so I can just toss the Spiedini right on the grill when we’re ready for dinner. It makes weekday dinners a snap!
Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
Whisk together the wine, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper.
Transfer the chicken to the marinade and allow to sit for 1 hour or up to 24 hours. (If doing this in advance, place the chicken and marinade in the refrigerator.)
Remove the chicken from the marinade.
Thread the chicken onto a skewer.
Whisk together the buttermilk, lemon zest and Italian seasoning.
Dip the chicken skewers in the buttermilk mixture and then the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
Allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes.
Grill the chicken over a medium flame until cooked through and slightly charred.
Serve the Chicken Spiedini with the garlic butter sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
HOW TO SERVE CHICKEN SPIEDINI
We like to serve our Chicken Spiedini with a light salad like this Iceberg Wedge or something summer-y and fresh like a Caprese Tomato Salad. You can also serve alongside a simple pasta dish if you want to round it out with something heartier.
Or serve them on top of a pile of garlic-y Broccoli Rabe for a healthier option.
It’s really up to you and how hungry you are.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
If you love this recipe as much as we do, you may also like these super simple Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs…they’re fresh and light and super easy. Or try these Chili Lime Chicken kabobs….they’re a total flavor bomb!
Get the Recipe: Grilled Chicken Spiedini Recipe
- 2 lbs Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Garlic Butter Sauce
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- wooden skewers
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to large bowl or heavy duty zip top bag.
- In a bowl, whisk together the wine, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, salt, red pepper flakes and parsley.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and transfer to the refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to grill, whisk together the buttermilk, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in a shallow bowl. (a pie plate works well for this.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs and cheese.
- Thread chicken onto a skewer until all the chicken is used.
- Dredge the chicken skewers in the buttermilk and then the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Arrange on a platter or plate and allow to rest for 15 minutes to give the breading time to adhere to the chicken.
- Heat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray to avoid sticking.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook 4 minutes each side or until internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
- If your chicken spiedini starts to char too quickly, turn the heat down.
- Serve the chicken skewers with the garlic butter sauce and sprinkle with more parmesan cheese, if desired.