Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
Turn your weeknights into a family grill fest. Tangy and sweet, Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs with pineapple are the ultimate weeknight meal. Quick and easy to assemble, minutes to cook and perfect for the entire family.
Originally published on July 3, 2015 and updates on July 14, 2019.
I hear people talk about the leisurely summer days….the lazy days of summer. I don’t know what they’re talking about. When you have a toddler that wants to play every waking hour of the day….it’s hardly a lazy day.
Throw in a little work and you have a full on busy day. And I’m watching my neighbors shuttle their kids too and from various sporting activities….sometimes I don’t see them for weeks! I often wonder if they’re away on vacation until, one day, I see them loading up the car at the crack of dawn with lawn chairs, coolers and baseball bats. Definitely not vacation.
So, on those busy days I like to have something quick and easy in my back pocket to throw on the grill. I love grilling because there’s minimal mess in the kitchen. And these Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers come together in a pinch so you can toss those babies on the grill for the fastest dinner ever!
No wiping down the stovetop and floor and whatever else I flung food on while trying to make a quick meal. And…no heavy pots to wash. I look for things that cook quickly and won’t dry out…like like boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
How to Make Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
These easy Teriyaki Chicken Skewers come together in minutes and are tender, juicy and mouthwateringly DELISH.
I’m a huge fan of chicken thighs, I make them often on and off the grill like these Barbecue Chicken Sliders and my Champagne and Garlic Braised Chicken Thighs. Or these easy oven baked BBQ Chicken thighs……sooooo amazingling tasty!
I like to keep boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs available fresh or frozen for quick family meals. I love how flavorful they are and they are so versatile. I frequently swap chicken thighs for recipes that call for chicken breasts because they’re much juicier and more forgiving on the grill.
The chicken thighs worked extremely well in this recipe which comes together in under 30 minutes, including the teriyaki marinade. You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts if that’s what you have on hand. We love this Teriyaki Chicken Skewer recipe both ways.
To make your Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs:
- If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers for one hour or overnight.
- Cut the chicken breast or thighs (or both) into bite sized pieces and place in a large, shallow bowl.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken and marinade for 1 hour.
- Thread the chicken, onion, bell pepper and pineapple onto the skewer. Set aside.
- Prepare grill.
- Cook the chicken skewers over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Turn the skewers and continue cooking until done, approximately 4-5 more minutes.
- Brush with the reserved teriyaki sauce and serve with chopped green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
You can use your favorite bottled teriyaki sauce for this recipe OR do like I did and use my SUPER EASY Homemade Teriyaki Sauce! It’s ready in about 3 minutes!
Can you prepare the Chicken Kabobs the night before?
You can, absolutely, prep the chicken teriyaki kabobs the night before! In fact, I like to assemble all the skewers and put them in the marinade overnight. This adds even more flavor to all the ingredients you use in your Teriyaki Chicken Skewers!
Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs are even fun to make, you can enlist the kids with some of the assembly and the chicken teriyaki sauce is simply amazing. Double or triple the recipe for an impromptu summer gathering….because you were just so lazy all day, why not invite the neighbors over for an unexpected party! That’s pretty much how I roll. 🙂
MORE EASY TERIYAKI RECIPES
- Oven Baked Teriyaki Chicken Breast
- We LOVE this Baked Teriyaki Chicken CASSEROLE!
- So EASY Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps with pineapple…of course.
- Five Spice Teriyaki Flank Steak is on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich is like a vacay for your mouth.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice wine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1 red onion cut into chunks
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- olive oil to prevent sticking
- 12 wooden skewers soaked in water for 1-24 hours
- 1 bell pepper cut into chunks
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the soy sauce, water, rice wine, brown sugar, garlic and ginger.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water. Slowly whisk the cornstarch into the soy sauce mixture and turn off the heat. Set aside.
- Place the chicken in a shallow bowl and pour half the teriyaki sauce over the chicken turning the chicken to coat.
- Cover the chicken and marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the grill. Assemble the skewers by alternating pieces of chicken, pineapple, bell pepper and onion.
- Place the kabobs on the grill over medium heat and cook for 3-4 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 170. Turn the kabobs over and cook for an additional minute.
- Brush the kabobs with the teriyaki sauce and cook for one minute longer. Turn the kabob once more and brush the opposite side with the sauce.
- Allow to cook for an additional minute and then transfer to a serving platter. Serve immediately