Five Spice Teriyaki Grilled Flank Steak
An easy main course that’s sure to impress, this Five Spice Teriyaki Grilled Flank Steak recipe is made with just three ingredients. So simple but so flavorful, and with minimal mess. The perfect steak for any occasion!
Five Spice Teriyaki Grilled Flank Steak
Grilling recipes rein supreme during the summer months because they’re pretty easy and mess free. There’s nothing better than tossing a steak or a few pieces of chicken onto the grill and not having a sink filled with big pots to be washed when you have a full belly.
Grilled flank steak is my favorite thing to make because it’s relatively simple to make and you can prep it in advance with a flavor packed rub or marinade to make it taste even better.
What is Flank Steak
Flank steak is a cut of beef from the lower abdomen area of a steer. Also known as bavette steak, which means “bib”, by French butchers.
It’s a very lean cut of steak that’s great for grilling, broiling, sautéing or roasting making it one of the most versatile cuts of beef on the market. Because it’s very lean, it can become tough if overcooked so it’s best when cooked to a medium rare temperature and sliced thinly across the grain. Flank Steak is also fantastic for marinading because it soaks up the flavor like a sponge.
How to Make It
Grilled Flank Steak is so simple to make….you only need three ingredients: Flank Steak, Teriyaki Sauce and Five Spice Blend. That’s it.
If you’re not familiar with Chinese Five Spice Blend, it’s a combination of five spices, extensively used in Chinese cuisine, brings warm, spicy-sweet flavors to stir-fries and roasted meats. It’s perfect for flavoring your favorite recipes with a unique asian flair. You can find it in the spice section of your local grocery store or on Amazon.
I just coated the whole steak with a mix of kosher salt and 5 Spice Blend then let it chill out all day long in the fridge. This allows the flavor to really get into the meat. And it saves you a step at dinner time.
Then, after work…or a long day of keeping your kids entertained….toss the steak on the grill and slather with teriyaki sauce. I use my homemade teriyaki sauce for this step but if you’re short on time, a bottled variety from the store will work equally well. I love my homemade version because you can make a big batch then whip up things like these simple grilled chicken sandwiches or these easy kabobs.
Grilling flank steak only takes about 5-7 minutes for medium-rare which is how I like it. Cook a bit longer for medium…or even better, a minute less for rare. Cut across the grain so the steak is melt in your mouth tender.
Tips for Grilling Flank Steak
- Marinade – Whether you choose a rub or a traditional marinade, flank steak loves a little time to soak up the flavor of whatever it is you’re using. Rub or marinade your flank steak for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 12 hours for the best flavor.
- Temperature – I like my flank steak cooked to a perfect medium rare (135˚F for medium rare) but you can also cook it a little longer for a medium rare, 145˚F, steak. Anything more than that and you risk your steak being tough.
- Rest – When you’re finished grilling your flank steak, transfer to a platter and cover with foil. Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing so the juices can redistribute through the meat. Cut it too soon and all those wonderful juices will run out onto your platter leaving you with dry steak.
What To Serve It With
This steak is equally impressive for entertaining and you could have an entire asian style dinner with these easy Spicy Tuna Sundaes as a fun starter! We like to serve it family style with this Asian Ramen Noodle Salad and a pile of Kimchi Cucumbers for more added flavor.
Either way, you won’t be spending your whole evening in the kitchen. How’s that for simplicity?
More Easy Steak Recipes
- Easy Grilled Steak Kabobs with Mushrooms
- Grilled Filet Mignon
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- The Best Filet Mignon Recipe EVER
Get the Recipe: Five Spice Teriyaki Flank Steak
- 2 lb beef flank steak
- 2 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- Whisk the Five Spice Blend and salt together to combine.
- Rub the Five Spice Blend over the flank steak covering both sides.
- Place on a platter, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the grill.
- Brush both sides of the flank steak with teriyaki sauce.
- Grill the flank steak for 4-5 minutes over high heat. Flip the steak over and brush with more teriyaki sauce.
- Grill for an additional 5 minutes for medium rare or until desired degree of doneness.
- Transfer to a platter, cover and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice across the grain and serve immediately