Homemade Peanut Butter and Jelly Uncrustables Sandwich (Freezer Friendly)
Save time (and MONEY) by making your very own frozen Uncrustables sandwiches! Fun to whip up with the kids, these simple PB and J sandwiches are freezer friendly so you can just grab and go. A busy morning lifesaver!
Peanut Butter Uncrustables
I’m definitely NOT ready for the lazy summer days to end and the thought of waking up every day to an alarm clock makes me a little queasy. Sad, in a way. Another summer bites the dust and I’m here trying to kill it with my very own prep ahead tips like these Homemade PB&J Uncrustables. They’re great to have on hand to toss into lunch boxes when your little one isn’t really feeling like Taco Tuesday at 8 am.
What Are Uncrustables
If you’re not familiar with Smucker’s Uncrustables sandwiches, they’re simply ready made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that you can find in your grocer’s freezer section. We absolutely LOVE them here but they’re a little pricey for what they are….you’re really paying for the convenience so I took matters into my own hands and made them myself.
How do you make Uncrustables from scratch?
Making Uncrustables from couldn’t be simpler. Just start with your favorite peanut butter or other nut butter, I love getting fancy sometimes and using THIS cashew butter for a grown up version….and your favorite jelly. This is a great opportunity to make an allergy friendly uncrustables without peanut butter by using almond butter or even sunflower seed butter. Both super tasty options!
Choose your favorite bread and then assemble by spreading a small amount of nut butter and jelly into the center of two slices of bread then cutting and sealing the bread together to form a pocket. I found my sandwich cutter on Amazon but you can use just about any size biscuit or cookie cutter then press the edges together with a fork to seal it shut.
We also like to make our Uncrustables into sweet treats by using Nutella or Marshmallow Fluff!
Can you freeze Homemade Uncrustables?
YES! Absolutely! That’s the best part….I like to make big batches of my homemade Uncrustables on the weekend and freeze them for the entire week. This makes packing lunches the easiest thing in the world.
Can you freeze PB & J sandwiches?
You can totally freeze regular Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches, they don’t need to be cut out and sealed at all. Simply assemble your sandwich as you would normally, skip the cutting/crimping step and place in a freezer bag. Press out the air and seal the bag shut.
Frozen PB & J Sandwiches and Uncrustables take about 10 minutes to thaw if left at room temperature. They’re a great addition to your beach cooler or picnic basket, too!
More Easy Lunchbox Recipe Ideas
We even love the old standby Egg Salad….this one is perfection!
To see what else we’re packing in our lunches this year, follow us over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Homemade Peanut Butter and Jelly Uncrustables Sandwich
- 12 slices white bread
- 6 tbsp grape jelly
- 6 tbsp peanut butter (or other type of butter)
- Arrange the bread on a flat surface and place one tablespoon of jelly into the center of each of six slices. Slightly spread the jelly into a small circle about 1/2 inch smaller than your cutter so that the edges of the bread will be able to seal.
- Repeat the procedure with the remaining six slices of bread and the peanut butter. Sandwich the two slices together and press down slightly.
- Using a sandwich cutter, cut out the center of the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches pressing firmly to seal the edges. Alternatively, if using a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut out the center of the sandwich and seal the edges by pressing down with a fork around the perimeter of the sandwich.
- To freeze: Place the sandwiched in individual zip top bags. Press out the air and seal. Transfer to the freezer and freeze until firm.
- To thaw: Remove the sandwich from the freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.