Italian Style Hot Dogs with Broccoli Rabe, Provolone and Roasted Red Peppers
This post is sponsored by Hebrew National® All-Beef Franks.
Turn a tasty side dish into a knock your socks off hot dog topping. Sauteed broccoli rabe is the perfect topping for Italian Style Hot Dogs, sharp provolone and roasted red peppers make them even better. The best tailgating dog in town.
Fall is on the horizon and with it….football…tailgating…lots of food. It’s a good thing bulky sweaters and sweatpants are perfectly acceptable forms of attire when watching the game because a lot of the time I have trouble practicing any form of restraint when it comes to what I stuff in my mouth. Top them with loads of cheese, chili, chips and anything else you can think of, like my Walking Taco Hot Dog that I shared on Instagram….and you have a full on buffet of good eats.
One thing that’s a sure find at every tailgate in Philly is sautéed broccoli rabe. Cooked quickly in a little olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper, broccoli rabe makes a fabulously tasty side dish for all things Italian. It’s most popular use is in a sandwich…Italian-style…served with sharp provolone cheese. Dinic’s in Philly has a famous sandwich that’s best served “extra wet” (let’s keep it clean, peeps), the most popular sandwich is the roasted pork sandwich but I prefer the roast beef….and I have them add roasted red peppers for a little sweetness. I like to buck tradition.
Naturally….I had to Italianize my hot dog a bit when I decided to make the traditional sautéed broccoli rabe as a side dish for tailgating. It was a seamless transition, really….it just made total sense and so the Italian Style Hot Dog was born. The All-Beef Hebrew National® Frank was the perfect match for the slightly bitter greens punched up with loads of garlic and spicy red pepper flakes. The pure beef flavor is a killer match for the sharp provolone, roasted red peppers and wilted greens.
So, kick the usual football fare to the curb and grill up a bunch of All-Beef Hebrew National Franks….top with heaping piles of sautéed broccoli rabe, roasted red peppers and provolone cheese….take a bite and realize Italian Style Hot Dogs are the true touchdown of the day. Wanna make your tailgating party even more over the top? Whip up these easy New York Style Hot Dog Onions or this homemade ketchup then served your dogs with some stellar sides like my creamy cucumber salad or the best baked beans on the planet.
Get the Recipe: Italian Style Hot Dogs with Broccoli Rabe, Provolone and Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 pound fresh broccoli rabe, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 8 Hebrew National® All-Beef Franks
- 8 hot dog rolls
- Fill a large stockpot or Dutch oven with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the salt and the broccoli rabe and blanche for 1-2 minutes until bright green in color. Promptly transfer the broccoli rabe to a large bowl filled with ice water and cool. Drain in a colander and pat dry.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 minute. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat the grill and cook the hot dogs over high heat until done, approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer the hot dogs to the roll and top with the cheese, red peppers and broccoli rabe. Serve immediately.
What makes a Hebrew National® Kosher hot dog premium? It’s all about what makes the cut (And what doesn’t). We’re choosy about what goes into our franks, we use only premium cuts of 100% kosher beef from the front half of the cow and then choose the best from that. No artificial flavors, colors, fillers or by-products. When your hot dog is Kosher, that’s a hot dog you can trust! For more summer fun with Hebrew National, visit facebook.com/hebrewnational
8 Comments on “Italian Style Hot Dogs with Broccoli Rabe, Provolone and Roasted Red Peppers”
Okay, I am loving this! I would use this topping on my veggie dogs (and definitely use extra provolone!)
Never thought I’d see brocolli rabe on a hot dog, sounds really good though! I’d imagine it adds a nice crunch! Going to try this one for sure!
I’m not much of a football fan, but I am a huge fan of football food! These look incredible! And I’m so with you on the sweater thing, haha!
What a great idea for hot dog toppings! I love that there are endless choices!
Thanks so much, Tonia!
My husband would love this one!
I love hot dogs SO much and these look delicious!