No Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie
Rich, creamy No Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie is the best way to end the summer. Deep, decadent chocolate mousse is nestled in a chocolate coated chocolate cookie crust and topped with a light, fluffy whipped cream cloud. So simple to make it’s silly!
Chocolate Mousse Pie
I started working on some fall recipes for all of you….but posting them is tough when the weather is scorching. I’m still in summer mode and can’t really get my heart into “pumpkin spice all the things” and crispy, crunchy leaves quite yet.
I’m trying, I’m ready for stew and roast chicken and spiked coffee drinks but it’s steaming hot, my hair is six feet wide and everything is sticky with humidity even in the air conditioned refuge of my house.
In just three short weeks, the school bus will be pulling up to the curb to pick up the kids and start a new school year. And I’ll still want to post popsicles and summer salads because this summer has been the best ever.
But it will end…I know and then we’ll start the best fall ever. Are you in? But in the meantime, let’s talk pie for a moment. Let’s talk about this No Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie recipe…plain and simple.
Like back in the good ole days when I was getting on the school bus to start a new year. I grew up in a food loving family and Chocolate Mousse Pie was a big favorite in our house. I don’t think anyone in the family made it….I THINK it came from a Pellman’s box but I could totally be mistaken.
What I do know for sure is it was my most favorite of the chocolate pie recipes in the whole pie world.
How To Make It
It’s so easy to make this No Bake Chocolate Pie recipe because it’s really just an assemble and chill in the fridge situation. It all starts with the BEST Chocolate Mousse recipe which is totally simple and it’s made from scratch!
The chocolate pie crust is made from cookie crumbs and a bit of butter to hold it all together, then you pour the easy chocolate mousse recipe into the crust.
Chill in the fridge, then top with a creamy homemade whipped cream that is simply to die for.
Rich, creamy chocolate mousse in an easy chocolate pie crust topped with a fluffy cloud of lightly sweetened homemade whipped cream. It’s simple to make and you’ll want to stick your face right in it….like a crazy pie eating contestant.
It’s going to be hard not to eat all the chocolate mousse before you fill the crust….but, thankfully, there’s a lot of mousse so you can spare a spoonful or 10. I used the same chocolate mousse from this Death by Chocolate Layer Cake because…well, it’s the best ever.
Can you make it in advance?
You can totally make this easy Chocolate Pie recipe in advance and stash it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days making this a party planning pie win! So great for Easter, July 4th, Christmas….just about any holiday or occasion, really.
Can you FREEZE Chocolate Mousse Pie?
You can easily freeze this chocolate pie recipe….assemble the pie as directed leaving out the whipped cream and then simply wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Cover with foil and freeze your chocolate pie for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to serve, allow the pie to thaw in the fridge for 24 hours then top with the whipped topping and chocolate shavings.
Store leftover pie in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
You’ll need to wait a bit before you can actually dig into your No Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie but it’s totally worth the wait, I promise. Like this chocolate pudding….wasn’t that worth the wait, too? Because I know you tried it already….right?
More Easy Pie Recipes
- Easy Frozen Mudslide Pie Recipe
- Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie….FROM SCRATCH
- The VERY BEST Apple Pie
- How to make the BEST Pie Crust
- Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe
- No Bake Banana Split Pie
- Classic Double Crust Cherry Pie
Get the Recipe: No Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie
- For the crust:
- 9 ounces chocolate wafer cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate, melted
- For the chocolate mousse:
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into 1/2-ounce pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- For the whipped topping:
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chocolate shavings, for garnish
- For the crust:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cookie crumbs and butter until moistened. Press the mixture evenly into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate being sure to coat the bottom and the sides. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the bottom of the crust and refrigerate until firm, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- For the chocolate mousse filling:
- Heat 1-inch of water in the bottom half of a double boiler over medium heat. Place 6-ounces of semisweet chocolate in the top half of the double boiler. Tightly cover the top with film wrap.
- Allow the chocolate to melt slowly, about 9 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir until smooth keep at room temperature until needed.
- Place 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream in the well-chilled bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a well-chilled balloon whip.
- Whisk on high speed until peaks form, about 1 minute. Set aside for a few minutes until needed.
- Whisk 3 egg whites in a large stainless-steel bowl, until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Add a 1/4 of the whipped cream to the chocolate and whisk quickly, vigorously, and thoroughly, then add to the egg whites. Now add the remaining whipped cream.
- Fold all together gently but thoroughly.
- Pour the chocolate mousse filling into the pie crust and spread evenly. Return the pie to the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- For the whipped topping:
- In a medium bowl, beat the confectioners’ sugar and cream together with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.
- Chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Slice with a sharp knife warmed in hot water to make slicing easier.