Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs with Figs
My One-Pan Roasted Crispy Chicken Thighs with Figs delivers crispy skin, and tender, juicy dark meat chicken. Let it coalesce with the umami pan sauce to create a “lick-the-plate-clean” kind of dinner. And the best part is that there’s only one pan to clean at night’s end!
Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
There’s nothing worse than a sink overflowing with dishes at the end of a good meal. That’s why I lean on the recipes that come together in just one pot, pan, or dish during the week.
My family’s favorites are Honey Chipotle Braised Short Ribs and One-Pot Garlic Herb Chicken with Pasta and Artichokes. I love how easy they are to make, especially since they taste like I spent all day developing the flavors.
This Pan Roasted Crispy Chicken Thigh with Figs recipe is one of those easy yet impressive one-skillet meals. It’s versatile enough to be a mid-week treat meal or to impress guests on the weekend.
It has all the best flavors: salty and crispy skin, tender chicken, syrupy sweet figs, savory caramelized onions, and herbaceous thyme. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Seriously—add the ingredients to this week’s grocery list. You’ll thank me later.
How To Make Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Season the chicken and crisp the skin. Heat the oil in a large oven-safe skillet. Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken. Then, add the chicken to the skillet skin-side down. Cook for 8-12 minutes or until the chicken releases from the pan without effort.
- Finish cooking the chicken. Flip the chicken and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Then, set aside.
- Sauté the aromatics. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of fat and drain away the rest. Return the pan to the heat and add the onions. Sauté until the onions are soft and slightly caramelized. Then, add the garlic and briefly cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Combine all ingredients in the pan. Add the chicken back into the pan with the skin facing up. Add figs and thyme to the skillet as well.
- Roast in the oven until finished. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for 25-50 minutes or until the thickest part of the meat reaches 165°F.
Crispy Chicken Thigh Tips & Tricks
- When crisping the chicken skin, resist the temptation to move it around. Once you place the skin onto the pan, leave it alone until it’s crispy enough to un-stick on its own.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan when crisping the chicken. Otherwise, you’ll end up steaming it, and you won’t get a crispy finish. Instead, batch-cook the thighs if you need to.
- Ensure the chicken isn’t entirely covered by onions or figs when it goes into the oven. Otherwise, that crispy skin you worked so hard for will become soggy!
What To Serve With Chicken Thighs
This Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs with Figs is a show-stopping dish, so all you need is a simple and elegant side dish to round out the meal.
Try serving it with these Roasted Fingerling Potatoes. They’re crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and super delicious when used to sop up any pan sauce that remains on your plate.
Or, you can lean into the sweet fig flavor and pair the dish with Baked Sweet Potatoes. It’s a simple, no-fuss side that you can bake simultaneously with the chicken.
Alternatively, you could whip up some Honey Glazed Carrots for a light, buttery pairing that’s simply irresistible.
Another veggie option would be Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts. They’re crispy and caramelized and super addicting.
Crispy Chicken FAQs
Can I use chicken breast instead of thighs?
It’s easy to substitute chicken breast in this recipe. If you’re using bone-in chicken breast, you can follow the recipe as is. If you use boneless breasts, decrease the cooking time to 25-30 minutes.
Can I still make this recipe if figs aren’t in season?
If figs aren’t in season, you can use a couple of tablespoons of fig jam, butter, and a splash of red wine to make the pan sauce instead.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs with Garlic Herb Sauce
- Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs with Creamy Mushroom Tarragon Sauce
- Honey Chipotle BBQ Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Marry Me Chicken
Get the Recipe: Pan Roasted Crispy Chicken Thighs with Figs Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 large fresh figs
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 1 skillet
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Season the thighs with salt and pepper on both sides. In a large stainless-steel skillet, heat the olive oil over med-high heat and then four chicken thighs skin side down.
- Cook the chicken until the skin is golden and crispy, approximately 8-12 minutes. It will release from the pan without effort when it's ready to turn. Turn the chicken over and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat and return the pan to the heat. Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minutes.
- Return the chicken back to the pan, skin side up, and add the figs and thyme.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until done. Serve immediately.