Meatloaf Seasoning enhances any meatloaf recipe it’s used with! Whether you’re making your loaf with pork, beef, or turkey, this simple combination of bold spices will make it downright delicious. And yes, it’s SO much better than any of those preservative-packed store-bought options out there.
I’m back at it with another seasoning blend recipe! I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again – making your own spice blends at home just makes all of your food taste so much better. This is one of those simple kitchen hacks that once you start doing, you’ll never stop. It’s probably the easiest way to elevate just about all of your every day recipes… like meatloaf!
Whether it’s a new meatloaf recipe, a generational family favorite or one you’re just playing around with and concocting yourself, it’ll benefit greatly from this seasoning mix. It’s got a touch of sweetness from brown sugar that’s balanced ideally with bolder spices like smoked paprika and dried mustard, among several others. The flavor here is great and it’s so complimentary to meatloaf recipes galore.
The best part? You likely have all of the ingredients you need already sitting on your spice rack. And if you don’t, no worries, because your shopping list is still pretty short. Making this spice blend is also a real cinch. It’s as simple as whisking and either storing or using right away. That’s all there is to it! You’re going to love the bold, yet subtle flavor this seasoning gives your meatloaf!
How to Make Meatloaf Seasoning
Whisk and enjoy. Yes, really, that’s it! Scroll to the bottom of this post to read more detailed instructions for this easy recipe.
Whisk. Measure all of the ingredients and place them in a small mixing bowl. Whisk until fully combined.
Voila! You now have the very beat meatloaf seasoning, and it only took you a minute (or less) to whisk together. Feel free to use it right away or store it for later.
How do I use meatloaf seasoning?
It’s so easy to incorporate this seasoning mix into your favorite recipe! Here’s the rule of thumb – add 1 1/2 tablespoons of meatloaf seasoning per pound of meat. Feel free to add more or less as you see fit. It works well with easy Crockpot meatloaf, turkey meatloaf, and so much more. (If you haven’t mad this Bacon wrapped meatloaf yet….are you even living your best life?)
In an airtight container at room temperature, meatloaf seasoning will stay fresh for up to 3 months. I recommend keeping it out of direct sunlight. Also, every time you reach for some seasoning, be sure to only do so with a clean, dry utensil. Any moisture or new bacteria introduced to the mix could cause it to go bad pretty quickly.
What’s in meatloaf seasoning?
This simple blend of pantry staples is inexpensive and oh so mouthwatering! Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
- Brown sugar – Did you know you can make your own brown sugar? All you need to do is mix 1 cup of white granulated sugar with 1 TBSP of molasses. Adjust for more or less as needed.
- Salt – I always recommend using kosher (coarse) salt over iodized if you can. Also, you can feel free to omit the salt entirely if you’re on a low-sodium diet.
- Smoked paprika – You can swap this with regular paprika if you’d like. However, the slight smokey flavor adds a really nice touch!
- Garlic powder – Always be careful not to add too much garlic powder. It has a tendency to overpower other spices!
- Celery seed – This brings a pretty wonderful earthy, warm element to the spice mix.
- Dried mustard – It’s got an aromatic quality and very sharp flavor that really enhances the overall seasoning.
- Thyme – You can substitute this with oregano if you’d like a slightly more Italian flavor.
- Black pepper – Freshly cracked black pepper will yield the most noticeable flavor.
Stock your spice rack with more of my favorite recipes!
Get the Recipe: Meatloaf Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Celery Seed
- 1/2 tablespoon Dried Mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon Thyme
- 1/4 tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 bowl
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.