Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate
Sweet and salty combines for the perfect snack with these easy Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats! Quick and simple to make with just a few ingredients, this Rice Krispie Treat recipe is made with creamy peanut butter and drizzled with melted dark chocolate. Not just for the little guys anymore!
One of the first things I ever learned to make in the kitchen was Rice Krispie Treats. leI remember not really being able to work the stove but I could easily manage to follow the directions on the side of the cereal box. And even then, I still added much more butter and way more marshmallows than the recipe called for knowing full well that the gooey-er the rice crispy treats the better.
When I was a teenager, my obsession with Rice Krispie Treats just grew and I even came up with a recipe for rice krispie treats in the microwave. (I’ll share that one later!) I started making my own variations of rice krispie treats and this Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat recipe was, by far, the one I made the most!
I mean, seriously, if you’re a fan of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups….this Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat is definitely for you. I even made them other level with a healthy drizzle of melted dark chocolate and a sprinkle of chopped peanuts. I mean, come on…..how can you resist!?!?
I have been obsessed with chocolate peanut butter all the things since like birth and this Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat recipe was like the best thing ever for me because it combines my two favorite flavors into one portable snack! It’s totally quick to make and you probably have all the ingredients you need right in your pantry. Especially if you’re Rice Krispie Treat obsessed like me.
PEANUT BUTTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS
Whether you call the Rice Krispie Treats or Rice CRISPY Treats, either way you’re in for a crunchy, buttery, gooey party for your mouth. If you’ve never had a Rice Krispie Treat, they’re basically a confection or bar made with Rice Krispies cereal, butter, marshmallows and other add-ins like peanut butter, chocolate, or flavorings like almond and vanilla.
They’re made by melting butter and marshmallows in a pot over low heat and then mixing with the cereal to coat. Then the mixture is pressed into a baking dish to cool before being cut into Rice Krispie Treat squares.
The process couldn’t be easier and it’s a fun recipe to make with the kids!
HOW TO MAKE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
This Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treat recipe is super simple to make. I used my favorite Rice Krispie Treat recipe for the base and adapted the recipe to include peanut butter, vanilla and the dark chocolate drizzle that makes them simply amazing.
Here’s how to make them:
Pour the cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Over medium heat, add the butter to a large saucepan and melt.
Add the large marshmallows to the pot and stir to combine with the butter. Continue to stir until the marshmallows have melted and are smooth.
Add the mini marshmallows to the pot and stir until they melt but are still visible.
Turn off the heat. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla.
Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir to combine.
Pour the cereal mixture into a 9×9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Press the mixture into an even layer with your hands coated in butter or cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
Using a knife coated with cooking spray, cut the Krispie treats into squares.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe dish at 30 second increments stirring between each interval until smooth.
- Transfer the chocolate to a plastic bag or pastry bag and snip off the corner. Drizzle the chocolate over the rice krispie treats and sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if desired.
- Allow the chocolate to cool until firm.
Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
The ingredient list for Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats is short and sweet. (Get it?) 🙂
Here’s what you need:
- Rice Krispie Cereal or other Crispy Rice cereal
- Marshmallows – I like to use a mix of large and mini marshmallows to add to the “goo” factor of my krispie treats.
- Butter – I use salted butter for this recipe because I like the hit of salt against the sweetness of the marshmallows. Bonus if you let your butter solids brown a bit in the pan.
- Peanut Butter – Creamy peanut butter works best here…resist the urge to use chunky peanut butter because the nuts can break your smooth marshmallow sauce.
- Vanilla – Totally optional but I like the mellow flavor of vanilla here.
- Dark Chocolate – You can skip the chocolate drizzle if you want here but then you’re just boring.
- Chopped peanuts – Also, optional, but why would you not add them.
TIPS FOR THE BEST RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- Fresh is best – Be sure to use fresh marshmallows here, homemade is even better! Resist the urge to use up those stale marshmallows here because they’ll just leave you with hard, stale rice krispie treats right off the bat.
- Get Dirty – Using your hands, appropriately greased up with butter or cooking spray, to press your krispie treats into the pan will help you from packing the mixture into the pan too aggressively.
- Line the pan – Lining your pan with parchment that has an overhang is your secret weapon to easy cutting. When you’re rice krispie treats have set, you can remove them easily from the pan and transfer to a cutting board to cut your squares.
- Lube that knife – Before cutting your treats into squares, coat your knife with cooking spray or butter to help prevent sticking.
And there you have it…..the BEST Rice Krispie Treats ever….loaded with peanut butter, chocolate and nuts. They’re so amazing you may want to keep the whole batch for yourself.
MORE EASY RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- Fun for the holidays, easy Rice Krispie Turkey Legs
- Easy Halloween Rice Krispie Treats are so fun to make!
- Kids absolutely flip over these Santa Rice Krispie Treats
- Football Rice Krispie Treats are a sure fire touchdown at any tailgate.
- Looking for something a little different? Try these easy Scotcheroos!!
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal or other crispy rice cereal
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 16 ounce package large marshmallows
- 2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- Pour the cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Over medium heat, add the butter to a large saucepan and melt.
- Add the large marshmallows to the pot and stir to combine with the butter. Continue to stir until the marshmallows have melted and are smooth.
- Add the mini marshmallows to the pot and stir until they melt but are still visible.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the vanilla and peanut butter.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and stir to combine.
- Pour the cereal mixture into a 9x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Press the mixture into an even layer with your hands coated in butter or cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second increments stirring between each interval until smooth.
- Transfer the chocolate to a plastic bag and snip off the corner of the bag. Drizzle the chocolate over the treats and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Allow the chocolate to set.
- Cut the Krispie treats into squares and serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.