Easy Chocolate Scotcheroos
Chocolate Scotcheroos are an easy to make dessert bar recipe that’s crispy, crunchy, sweet, melty and amazing. Made with crispy rice cereal, peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch, they’re the most decadent and simple dessert you’ll ever sink your teeth into.
School is officially out and we’re now doing the super snack scramble. The time of year when you’re desperately trying to come up with some fun and easy snacks…sweet treats…for the kids to enjoy occasionally. EASY being the most important part of the equation….these Chocolate Scotcheroos are our favorite way to kill a sweet craving.
Bar recipes reign supreme when it comes to a dessert like snack. We love a good brownie or a fun twist on Rice Krispie Treats. Scotcheroo Bars are very similar to crispy rice treats because they start with Rice Krispies cereal.
What are Scotcheroos?
Scotcheroos are a no bake bar recipe that’s like a Rice Krispie Treat on crack. Chewy and crunchy all at the same time, they’re made with peanut butter, Rice Krispies and topped with a sweet, creamy layer of chocolate and butterscotch.
The flavor is seriously out of this world amazing and I could easily eat a whole pan all my myself.
They’re totally a blast from my past and are still on repeat when it comes to whipping up an easy dessert bar recipe.
How To Make Them
These easy cereal bars are super simple to make. And you don’t need that many ingredients to get the job done.
- Place the Rice Krispies in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Boil the sugar and corn syrup.
- Stir the peanut butter into the sugar mixture.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir to coat.
- Press the cereal into a baking dish coated with cooking spray and lined with a piece of parchment.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and spread to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
- Allow to set at room temperature.
- Cut into bars and serve at room temperature.
You don’t have to top with the sea salt but it adds a nice pop and contrast to the sweetness of the bars.
How To Store Them
You can store Scotcheroos at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 7 days. They will get a little firmer with each passing day but I still find them super tasty even when they’re not freshly made.
They make a great addition to the school lunchbox, too, so they’re perfect all year long.
- Crispy Cereal – You can use regular Rice Krispies or a combination of regular and cocoa Krispies, if you wish. Either way they’re super tasty!
- Sugar – Be sure not to cook the sugar/corn syrup mixture too long. Bring just to a boil and then remove from the heat. Boiling too long will cause the sugar to harden too much when the bars are set.
- Peanut Butter – We like to use creamy peanut butter but you can also use chunky style. Allergic to nuts, substitute with almond butter or sunflower seed butter for an allergy friendly bar.
- Garnish – We use sea salt to top our bars but you can also use chopped nuts, sprinkles, toffee bits….time to get creative!
More Easy Cookie Bar Recipes
If you love this easy bar recipe, you may also like these easy Millionaire Shortbread Bars or these crazy delicious S’mores Bars (JUST 5 INGREDIENTS!).
Get the Recipe: CHOCOLATE SCOTCHEROOS
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons flakey sea salt, optional
- baking dish
- Coat a 9×13′ inch baking dish with cooking spray and line with a piece of parchment with a 2 inch overhang on each side. (This will help you lift the bars out of the pan for easy cutting.)
- Place the cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir the sugar and corn syrup together to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved, approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the peanut butter into the sugar mixture until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal and stir until coated.
- Press the cereal mixture into the baking dish evenly.
- Add the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips to a small saucepan.
- Melt the chips over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate over the bars in an even layer. Immediately sprinkle with sea salt, if using.
- Allow to set at room temperature before cutting and serving.
- Store scotcheroos in an airtight container at room temperature.