Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwich
Super easy, great for a crowd…..and kinda, sorta healthy! This Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteak has been a party pleaser for years. It’s also a great weeknight dinner. Just minutes of prep time and you have a cheesy classic to satisfy even the pickiest eater!
This recipe was originally published on January 16, 2014 and was updated with an improved recipe and photos on January 19, 2018. Enjoy!
Don’t worry Philly friends, I don’t dare attempt to make a real Philly cheesesteak in my slow cooker. It just can’t be done. I’ve seen it attempted by many, many bloggers but it’s not the same. I won’t even try the recipe. If I am craving the real deal, it’s not coming from a crock pot.
This, however, is a Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteak. An easy, healthy, less messy alternative to making a real Philly Cheesesteak at home. I don’t know about you but when I’m done frying up all the meat, onions and whatever else I’m putting in my sandwich I’m left with a grease spattered stove top that takes me longer to clean than it did to make the sandwich. It kind of sucks the fun out of making it at home. That and the fact that you can’t pack the sandwich full if you’re trying to watch your waistline.
AND this is a dump and go recipe….you know, the kind where I’m not telling you to brown the meat, carmelize the veggies, deglaze the pan. You throw everything into the slow cooker, pop on the lid and go. Go to work…go shopping….go to sleep. Whatever. It will be ready for you in a few hours. The only thing left for you to do is slice open some rolls and top with cheese. I even had time to throw the sandwich under the broiler for a few minutes to make sure the roll was nice and crusty and the cheese was hot and gooey.
If you’re hosting a super bowl party, a tailgate party or just a “I want to hang with my friends” party this year and want to have a healthy option available for your guests. This, my friends, is the way to go. And if you’re looking for a few more chicken sandwich recipes you definitely have to check out this California Chicken Cobb Sandwich, THIS Italian Chicken Cutlet Sandwich and my favorite Grilled Chicken Gyro which is so totally OMG bursting with amazingness!
Or spend just 10 minutes and make yourself the original Philly cheesesteak Sandwich! THIS is the REAL DEAL!
Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
A lighter version of my favorite Philly cheesesteak and this easy sandwich is made in the slow cooker!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms wiped clean and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8-10 long rolls sliced horizontally
- 8-10 slices provolone cheese
- In a slow cooker, layer the chicken breasts, onions, mushrooms and garlic in that order.
- Pour the beef stock over the chicken and season with the garlic powder, italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the chicken using two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine all the ingredients thoroughly. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes on warm to allow the flavors to absorb into the chicken.
- Toast the roll under the broiler for 1-2 minutes and top with approximately 1 cup of the chicken mixture being sure to drain some of the broth so the roll doesn't get soggy.
- Top the chicken with a slice of cheese and place under the broiler for 1 minute or until melted. Serve immediately.
Chicken can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Return to the slow cooker to heat through or reheat in the microwave.