Spicy Chicken Rigatoni
Tender noodles and juicy chicken are coated with creamy, spicy sauce and Parmesan cheese in this amazing spicy chicken rigatoni recipe. This is one of my favorite pasta dishes that I just cannot get enough of! Make this easy dinner tonight and let me know how much you love it!
Spicy Chicken Rigatoni
Is there a real term for someone who’s head over heels in love with pasta? Because I feel like it would apply to me! I’m always in the kitchen creating new and exciting ways to whip up some pasta. With this spicy chicken recipe, I really think I’ve made my new favorite.
This is one of those dinners that has everyone back in the kitchen, scooping their second helpings out of the pot. Between the perfectly cooked tender chicken and creamy, spicy tomato sauce, there’s so much to love about this dinner!
This rigatoni dinner is so sophisticated, no one ever believes me when I say how easy it is to make. Find out for yourself by making it for dinner tonight!
The sauce is spicy and creamy, similar to a vodka sauce with some heat!
Also – it pairs excellently with a glass of wine, just in case you were wondering!
How To Make It
You’re probably already familiar with most of the steps in this recipe if you’ve made different pasta dishes before. The steps are simple, and the result is incredible!
Prepare the pot. Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot.
Cook the chicken. Start by seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper. Then, add the chicken to the pot and cook it over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown. After that, turn the chicken over and cook it for an additional 7-10 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer it to a platter and keep warm.
Add the onion. Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook until softened, which should take approximately 3-4 minutes.
Stir in more ingredients. Stir in the garlic, crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning. Mix it all together, and cook for an additional minute.
Add the tomato ingredients. First, add the tomato paste and stir to fully combine. Then, stir in the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil before reducing the heat to low. Allow the sauce to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Finish by tossing in the remaining ingredients. Add the cooked pasta and heavy cream or half and half, stirring to combine. Once combined, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and stir it in to the pasta.
Serve! Voila! It’s really that simple. Serve this spicy chicken dinner immediately with parmesan cheese and freshly cut parsley, and enjoy!
How long will this spicy rigatoni stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the fridge, this delicious pasta dish will stay fresh for 3-4 days. To reheat, I recommend tossing it back in the pot and heating it on low, if you have the time! The microwave might dry out the sauce.
Can I remove the chicken?
Of course! If you’re a vegetarian, or just trying to enjoy this dish for meatless Monday, this rigatoni recipe is still tasty without the chicken. If you can find a chicken substitute at the grocery store, that will probably pair well, too.
How can I make it spicier?
To put it simply – add more crushed red pepper! The more red pepper you add, the spicier the overall dish will be. If you really want to turn up the heat, consider seasoning your chicken with the crushed red pepper as well.
If you’re looking for more pasta recipes in your life, you’ve come to the right place! Here are some of my go-to easy weeknight dinners:
- The Best EVER Baked Ziti
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Easy Pasta Puttanesca with Linguine
- Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Lousiana Chicken Pasta
Get the Recipe: Spicy Chicken Rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 20 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- dutch oven
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pot and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn the chicken over and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until softened, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, crushed pepper and Italian seasoning. Continue to cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and heavy cream, stirring to combine.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and stir into the pasta.
- Serve immediately with parmesan cheese, if desired.