The Very Best Buffalo Chicken Pasta Recipe
When your favorite dip becomes dinner…..this Buffalo Chicken Pasta is an easy weeknight dinner with a cornucopia of flavor! Tangy buffalo sauce, blue cheese and cheddar blend together masterfully blanketing pasta and chicken like magic. So simple and so amazingly DELISH!
It’s officially football season…school’s in session, the Eagles are back on the field….it’s practically fall. But it’s not. We still have 15 days left of summer and I’m soaking it all in. This is the best time of year because you get the best of both worlds with warm summer temps and cheesy game day eats like my favorite Buffalo Chicken Dip.
This is the time of year when we suddenly get overload with all things pumpkin and Buffalo chicken but I don’t mind one bit. Bring it all on….and every single day, too. That’s why I had to share my favorite One Pot Pasta Recipe…..Buffalo Chicken Pasta! It’s simply magical…..cooking in one pot and all.
There’s no shortage of one pot pasta recipes here in my house but this easy Buffalo Chicken Pasta is by far our favorite. Even the littles like the tang of the blue cheese but you can totally leave it out if you want. And it’s not spicy but you can amp up the spice level to suit your own taste if you like things fiery hot.
My husband put a ton of hot sauce on his Buffalo Chicken Pasta while at the dinner table because I wanted to keep the heat in check so the whole family could eat it. And while I LOVE a spicy recipe…sometimes I have places to be the next day and want to be sure my belly is not angry with me while I’m out and about….if you get my drift.
ONE POT BUFFALO CHICKEN PASTA
This Buffalo Chicken Pasta is super simple to make and there’s no need to cook your pasta ahead of time either. I’m all about making as few dirty dishes while I’m cooking as possible because there’s nothing I hate more than a sink full of dishes after I spent time cooking dinner.
Here’s how to make Buffalo Chicken Pasta:
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the onions and garlic to the skillet. Cook until softened.
- Stir in the uncooked pasta, milk, chicken stock and buffalo sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until the pasta is cooked al dente.
- Stir in the cream cheese, blue cheese dressing and cheddar cheese.
- Cook for 4 minutes longer and then top with crumbled blue cheese, chopped scallions and parsley.
- Serve immediately.
The whole recipe takes under 30 minutes to make and that includes prep time. How’s that for an EASY One Pot dinner!?! And if you’re in a super, crazy hurry….you can use leftover roast chicken or this Shredded Chicken from your weekly meal prep!
WHAT IS BUFFALO SAUCE
Buffalo sauce is the marinade or sauce they use to coat chicken wings at most bars and restaurants. Buffalo sauce is easy to make at home and is made of a mixture of hot sauce, vinegar and butter. Some buffalo sauce contains Worcestershire sauce, as well, but I leave it out. If I’m using a bottled Buffalo Sauce I reach for Frank’s Red Hot….I put that ish on everything. 🙂
Buffalo sauce is CALLED buffalo sauce because it originated at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. Not because it comes from Buffalos. See, I know stuff. 🙂
INGREDIENTS FOR BUFFALO CHICKEN PASTA
The ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Pasta are pretty simple to find and are, usually, kitchen staples. At least in my house.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Salt and Pepper
- Corkscrew Pasta (I like to use Gemelli)
- Chicken Stock
- Buffalo Sauce
- Cream Cheese
- Blue Cheese (Gorgonzola or other mild blue cheese will work)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Chopped Scallions
If you’re not a blue cheese fan you can totally leave out the blue cheese and the substitute the blue cheese dressing with Ranch Dressing. It’s great either way but we are lovers of the blue cheese here.
CAN YOU MAKE BUFFALO CHICKEN PASTA IN ADVANCE
You can totally make this One Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta in advance but the pasta will begin to absorb the sauce the longer it sits. So, just know when you reheat your pasta it won’t be as saucy as when you first make it. It’s still amazing and you’ll want to face plant in it but the sauce will be a little thicker.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BUFFALO CHICKEN PASTA
You could totally just go simple here with a pile of cut celery sticks which is always fun but here are our favorite sides for this Buffalo Chicken Pasta recipe.
- Loaded Iceberg Wedge Salad
- Easy Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Brown Butter Green Beans
- Mango Guacamole Salad
MORE BUFFALO CHICKEN RECIPES
- The VERY BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Skewers with Avocado Ranch
- Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Tenders
The Very Best Buffalo Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb uncooked pasta corkscrew or Gemelli
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 5 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
- 1 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese reserved
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped scallions
- chopped fresh parsley
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until golden brown on all sides. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the pasta, milk, chicken stock and buffalo sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the pasta is al dente and about half the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the lid. Return the chicken to the pan and stir.
- Add the cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles and the cheddar cheese stirring to incorporate. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
- Top with the remaining blue cheese, scallions and parsley. Serve immediately