Magic Cookie Bars
Magic Cookie Bars are exactly as described – magical! A buttery graham cracker crust is topped with sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut flakes and walnuts. There’s a little something in there for everyone!
Magic Cookie Bars
What are Magic Cookie Bars? Magic. Heaven. Bliss. Need I say more?! Okay, in a literal sense, Magic Cookie Bars are simply dessert bars that are almost impossible to mess up. A butter and graham cracker crust is topped with sweetened condensed milk and an array of sweet ingredients that you can swap for alternatives as needed. It’s customizable, easy to make, and always satisfy. Magical!
You’ve likely had a Magic Cookie Bar (or several) at a holiday cookie exchange, where they’re at their most popular! While they’re a notable cookie exchange delicacy, there’s nothing exceptionally Christmas-y about these bars, so you can make them all year round. After a few bites of a perfectly baked bar, you’ll be inclined to do just that. They’re impossible not to crave time and time again.
Like I mentioned, these are little layers of heaven that can be adapted to anyone’s taste. Don’t care for coconut? Leave it out. Not a fan of nuts? Leave them out. If you like white chocolate, you can add that in or substitute it for semisweet chips. The sky’s the limit with these easy cookie bars! Simply layer the ingredients of your choice, bake for about half an hour, and enjoy.
How to Make Magic Cookie Bars
You’ll love how easily these bars come together. They’re foolproof!
- Prepare. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13×9 inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Create the crust. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter until all the crumbs are moist. Press the mixture into the baking sheet being sure the bottom is covered and the layer is even. Pour the condensed milk evenly over the graham cracker mixture.
- Add the toppings. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the condensed milk and then sprinkle the butterscotch chips evenly over the chocolate. Top with the coconut and nuts.
- Bake. Bake in a 350°F oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before slicing.
In an airtight container at room temperature, these bars will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. If you want them to stay fresh even longer, pop them in the fridge, where they’ll last for up to a week. Some people actually prefer chilled Magic Bars over room temp ones!
Can I freeze Magic Cookie Bars?
Yes! Once they’re baked and totally cooled to room temp, store the bars in an airtight, freezer safe food storage container. They’ll stay fresh for up to 3 months. Allow the bars to thaw in the fridge before serving. Don’t forget to label and date!
More Easy Dessert Bars
Get the Recipe: Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts, I used walnuts
- 1 13 x 9 baking pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter until all the crumbs are moist.
- Press the mixture into the baking sheet being sure the bottom is covered and the layer is even.
- Pour the condensed milk evenly over the graham cracker mixture.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the condensed milk and then sprinkle the butterscotch chips evenly over the chocolate.
- Top with the coconut and nuts.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before slicing and store in an airtight container.