One of the best shortbread recipes ever made, Millionaire Shortbread Bars are layer upon layer of amazingly sweet flavor. Buttery shortbread topped with a layer of gooey caramel, then blanketed with melted chocolate. Lightly salted for a little extra pop of flavor. Betcha can’t eat just one.
Everyone else is starting to eat salads and do the Keto diet right now because summer has been sneaking in little peeks of what’s to come the past few days.
And with that, I give you my favorite bar recipe ever. My Millionaire Shortbread Bars recipe…..they’re simply fabulous in every sense of the word. They’re rich, buttery and sort of an over the top shortbread bar recipe.
What is Millionaire Shortbread?
Also know as Caramel Shortbread, caramel slice, caramel shortcake, caramel squares, and Millionaire’s Slice is a buttery biscuit dessert that’s topped with a layer of caramel and a smooth layer of melted chocolate that’s chilled until firm.
Sometimes the caramel layer is salted caramel but for this recipe, I added a sprinkle of sea salt on top so I felt like they needed a new name…one that described exactly what they are. Salted Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars. A bit long…..but it tells you like it is. Right?
Why is it called Millionaires Shortbread?
I THINK the origin of the name came to be because the shortbread bars are super rich to eat…..and a normal person could stop at just one. But I could, literally, eat a whole pan myself. I may regret it later but they’re so good my sweet tooth just can’t get enough.
Originating in Australia and New Zealand but also popular in Canada, Millionaire Shortbread Bars have made their way over to the United States and are definitely here to stay. One bite and you’ll agree with that little assumption.
Ingredients You Will Need
The best part about making Caramel Shortbread Bars is that you probably already have everything you need to whip these up on a whim.
- butter – I like to use salted butter but if you use unsalted butter be sure to add a pinch of salt to your dough.
- flour – All purpose flour works well.
- sweetened condensed milk – Condensed Milk is milk with the water removed so it’s thick and very sweet.
- kosher salt
- dark chocolate
- sea salt flakes (optional)
How long do Millionaire Shortbread Bars last?
You can store your Millionaire Shortbread recipe in an airtight container for up to 5 days for optimal freshness. Alternatively, you can FREEZE your shortbread bars wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature for best results.
More Favorite Cookie Recipes
- Five Ingredient S’mores Bars…..OMG…better than Starbucks.
- Apple Walnut Blondies
- Gingerbread Blondies with Lemon Cream Cheese Swirl
- Apple Butter Cheesecake Streusel Bars
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Streusel Bars
- Lavender Lemon Bars
Get the Recipe: Millionaire Shortbread Bars Recipe
- 2 sticks of cold butter, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups all purpose flour, I used King Arthur Flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped (You can use milk chocolate if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt flakes, I used Maldon Sea Salt
- 1 baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the butter, flour, sugar and salt until course crumbs form about the size of a pea.
- Pour the mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish lined with parchment (being sure the parchment hangs over the sides of the dish.) Press the mixture down using your fingers until you have a firm, even layer.
- Bake the shortbread in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, slowly bring the condensed milk, butter and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until the mixture is thick and amber in color, approximately 15 minutes. Pour the mixture over the shortbread and spread evenly with a spatula. Allow to cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate by heating at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and heat again for 15 minute intervals stirring each time until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer and sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Allow to cool completely so the chocolate can harden.
- Cut the shortbread into approximately 2 inch squares and store in an airtight container.