The Very Best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, these are the BEST Oatmeal Raisin Cookies ever. A simple recipe I’ve been making for years, this is one cookie you won’t be able to get enough of.
Recipe and photos updates on December 31, 2016.
On the third day of cookies, I bring you the best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. This is the cookie that everyone overlooks….even me. If given the choice between chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin, it will be chocolate chip every time. But if I have both side by side, the oatmeal raisin always wins hands down! Nevertheless, I always default back to my old ways and make the mistake of choosing the chocolate chip cookie or a cinnamon spiked snickerdoodle. I’m not alone on this one either, I’ve seen trays of cookies where the only thing left were oatmeal raisin and a few scattered crumbs….maybe a couple lonely chocolate chips.
I think it has something to do with the association between oatmeal and healthy food. Who wants a healthy cookie? If I’m going to have a cookie it better be incredible, buttery and sweet…..crisp and chewy.
The Best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are not healthy….we can pretend they are because they do have oatmeal and oatmeal is healthy and raisins are grapes…which is a fruit and butter is dairy and flour is grain…so, yeah, let’s say they’re healthy. And they’re so incredibly addictive, I dare you to eat just one. Just try it. I’ll wait right here. 🙂
But all kidding aside, if you’re going to make an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie….make it the BEST Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. And if you really want something healthy to snack on….these Oatmeal Raisin Bites are a very close second in my book.
Get the Recipe: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups old fashion oatmeal, rolled oats
- 2 cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar, continue beating until fluffy.
- Turn the mixer to low and stir in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated thoroughly. Add the vanilla and stir.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the oats and raisins.
- Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, place 2 inch mounds of dough on the prepared baking sheets leaving a couple inches in between because they will spread. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 - 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for a couple minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.