Grilled Shrimp Tostadas with Mango Salsa and Chipotle Cream
Shrimp Tostadas are crispy, creamy, spicy, and sweet in every bite! This easy dinner recipe is the perfect combination of fresh flavors that always makes for a memorable meal. Crunchy corn tortillas are topped with seasoned grilled shrimp, a sweet and spicy cream, avocados, and the most mouthwatering mango salsa.
I don’t know if I can think of a dinner I love more than these grilled Shrimp Tostadas. Well, I’m sure I can think of quite a few I love just as much… But it’s a short list of recipes that can truly compare to this one! Juicy, flavor-packed grilled shrimp are tossed onto a crunchy fried corn tortilla with avocado slices, mango salsa, and the most mouthwatering creamy sauce.
I have it on good authority that these summery tostadas pair perfectly with an ice cold cerveza or a margarita! I know what you may be thinking – it’s not summer. Why am I reading about shrimp tostada? Well, I actually first fell in love with a recipe similar to this one when I was spending Thanksgiving on a beach in Mexico many years ago. Since then, I mastered an even more delicious recipe at home and treat myself to those summery flavors all year long.
If I close my eyes, I can still pretend I’m on the white sandy beaches in Mexico even though I currently need a jacket to go outside! It’s not hard to dream of a tropical vacation when each bite of this crunchy entree is filled with juicy mangoes, ripe avocados, grilled shrimp, a creamy chipotle sauce, and plenty of lime juice. This handheld meal tastes just like the tropical vacation I’m well overdue for!
How to Make Shrimp Tostadas
Whether it’s the heat of summer or the dead of winter, you’ll love every last tropical flavored bite of these crunchy Shrimp Tostadas!
Cook the tortillas. Cook the corn tortillas over medium-low heat in a pan until crispy.
Grill the shrimp. Season the shrimp with salt, garlic powder, chili powder and pepper. Cook on a grill pan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side.
Make the chipotle sauce. Blend together the yogurt, honey, chipotle chili and adobo until smooth. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Make the mango salsa. Toss together the mango, bell pepper, parsley, red onion, lime zest and juice.
Assemble the tostadas. Start off by layering the tortillas with avocado, then top the avocado with equal amounts of shrimp. Spoon the mango salsa on top of the shrimp and drizzle it all with chipotle cream sauce.
Tips and Variations for Shrimp Tostadas
- Don’t overcook the shrimp. As soon as the shrimp start curling and turning white, they’re probably done cooking! If you overcook them, they’ll turn rubbery and tough very quick.
- Craving more spice? Toss some fresh jalapeños into the mango salsa! If you really want to break a sweat, consider keeping the jalapeño seeds in the mix as well. That’s where the real heat is.
- Feel free to use frozen shrimp. Just make sure they’re totally thawed prior to cooking.
- When you pick a greek yogurt at the store, make sure it’s plain! You don’t want to accidentally use a flavor like vanilla in your chipotle sauce.
- I don’t recommend trying to make these Shrimp Tostadas ahead of time. They’re definitely a meal that’s best served fresh.
Some of the best side dishes for this easy summery recipe include:
And of course, you simply must pair this Mexican meal with a beer or one of my favorite margs:
Make sure you check out more of my favorite shrimp recipes!
For more easy seafood recipes, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Grilled Shrimp Tostadas Recipe
- 6 6- inch corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce, from the canned chipotle chile
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- juice and zest of one lime
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 skillet
- 1 grill
- In a small frying pan coated with cooking spray, add the tortilla and cook over med-low heat until lightly toasted and crispy. Repeat with remaining tortillas and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the shrimp, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Heat a grill pan over med-high heat, add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bright pink. Turn the shrimp over and continue to cook until no longer translucent. Transfer to a plate and keep warm until all the shrimp are cooked.
- In the bowl of a small food processor or blender, blend the yogurt, honey, chipotle chili and adobo until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mango, bell pepper, parsley, red onion, lime zest and juice. Set aside.
- Top each tostada with equal amounts of avocado and then top the avocado with equal amounts of shrimp. Spoon the mango salsa on top of each tostada and drizzle the chipotle cream over the salsa. Serve immediately.
4 Comments on “Grilled Shrimp Tostadas with Mango Salsa and Chipotle Cream”
Yummmm-o! Shrimp is hands down my favorite food…evah! These look incredible! Everything I like, heat, avocado, shrimp and the mango bite after bite. Now I am HUNGRY!
This is my favorite combo of goodness!
Sounds fabulous, and I love those toppings!
These look heavenly!!!