A savory twist on cheesecake to dress up your summer cheese course, these Mini Basil Parmesan Cheesecakes are perched on a buttery cracker crust and topped with tangy tomato jam. Light, airy, creamy and slightly salty, they will disappear in a flash at any party.
I’m feeling a bit more social lately. I’ve been a bit of a hermit lately spending my days in the kitchen and churning out recipes like nobody’s business. Since my kitchen is in the back of the house, I don’t really see much of what is going on in the neighborhood except when we begin to hear the faint chimes of the neighborhood ice cream truck. He’s back, apparently…and there’s always an intense sense of chaos that explodes as soon as my son hears it. And he always hears that truck, no matter how loud I turn the television up. Sometimes it’s a bit of a relief because it forces me to get away from work for a minute and soak up a bit of vitamin D. To visit with my neighbors, even if it’s brief. It puts me in the mood to entertain a little, to enjoy the warm weather, the sound of the crickets and the flicker of the fireflies.
Simple summer parties are the best because you can have just a few light bites and everyone is happy. On a sweltering summer evening, I’m more in the mood for a refreshing cocktail and a few nibbles like a light canapé or these super easy Mini Basil Parmesan Cheesecakes with Tomato Jam. It’s an unexpected surprise on any cheese platter and a unique twist on the classic cheesecake dessert.
The buttery crust is made with crumbled Dare Cabaret Crackers, butter and egg white. Baked in a mini cheesecake pan or muffin tin, they’re the perfect size for a two bite treat. The slightly salty filling is bursting with fresh basil flavor. I topped the cheesecakes with a sweet and tangy tomato jam for the perfect contrast to the creamy filling. You can buy the tomato jam in a well-stocked grocery store or make this version. It’s fantastic on just about everything!
Whether prepping for an extravagant party or an impromptu get-together, Dare’s variety of crisp crackers are sure to make each bite better. They’re a great addition all on their own to any party spread. They’re amazing with this dip or topped with a wedge of your favorite cheese. Create your cheese display with a variety of cheeses, crackers, fresh fruit and your Mini Basil Parmesan Cheesecakes for a light, fresh take on summer entertaining. Serve with a fruity cocktail, kick your feet up and enjoy the balmy summer nights. What’s your favorite way to entertain on a summer evening?
- 1 1/4 cup cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 egg white
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup tomato jam
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter and egg white until combined.
- Press 1/2 tablespoon of the crumb mixture into each well of a mini cheesecake pan. (If you don’t have a cheesecake pan, you can use a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners.)
- Transfer to pan to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 300 degrees.
- Add the cream cheese, parmesan, basil, sugar, eggs and salt to a blender.
- Puree the ingredients until smooth.
- Fill each well of the pan halfway with the cheese mixture. Return the pan back to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges are dry but the centers are still a little jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the pan to the refrigerator and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remover the cheesecakes from the pan by running a knife around the edges and pushing up on the bottom.
- Transfer to a serving platter or plate.
- Top with tomato jam and garnish with basil. Serve immediately.