Fresh and light, this is the VERY Best Tuna Salad ever. Simple to make with every day ingredients, this tuna salad recipe will be a weekly staple. Great for the lunchbox or picnic basket!
So, one week left before the school bus arrives so we are cramming in every last bit of fun we can before summer comes to an end. We’ve been checking off our summer bucket list like crazy this past week and, boy, did we have fun last Thursday. We, finally, made it to the zoo to visit all the animals and have a family picnic. It’s one of our favorite places to spend the day and all the animals were out and about. We packed up the picnic basket with drinks, sandwiches stuffed with the Very Best Tuna Salad and Frito-Lay 2 Go, then headed to the zoo bright and early.
The weather was perfect and Landon had a blast learning all about his favorite animals. He’s a big reptile fan so we spent a good bit of time in the reptile house getting the details on the differences between a crocodile and alligator. My favorite exhibit is the big cats…you can really get up close and personal with the tigers….without actually getting too personal and becoming THEIR lunch. I shared all our fun in this short video where you can see the best of the zoo….or at least our very favorite parts.
Be sure to check out the primate exhibit and take in the sites on the zoo balloon. We didn’t get a chance to go up on this visit but will definitely be going back soon since Frito-Lay 2 Go (FL2Go) is taking families from the depths of the ocean to the treetops of the rainforest through an exciting partnership with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). Families are filled with wonder and excitement for wildlife, so for the second year FL2Go is partnering with AZA to offer a free kid’s pass to participating facilities to spark adventure and unlock fun for the whole family!
You can read more about the Frito-Lay and AZA partnership to protect endangered animals here. To get your free kid’s pass:
- Purchase a specially marked package of FL2Go, featuring a tiger, panda, monkey, elephant or penguin.
- Visit AZA.Frito-Lay.com to upload a photo of your receipt for proof of purchase and find your local participating AZA facility.
- Check your email for your free kid’s pass!
- Visit your local AZA facility for a family wildlife adventure!
*Note: Offer is for visits Monday thru Friday until 10/20/2016
And don’t forget to pack your picnic lunch. The Philadelphia Zoo has several picnic groves where you and your family can take a quick break under the trees and enjoy a quick bite to eat. I packed up our basket with the very best tuna salad ever. I’ve been making this recipe for years and it’s fresh, light and totally amazing. Not your ordinary tuna salad, it has bright notes of citrus, crunchy veggies and just a bit of mayo to make it creamy but not overly greasy. It’s great in a wrap, on a salad or piled high on a sweet potato roll. I even like to make it “taco-style” as an after school snack! Served with a side of Frito-Lay chips and you have a great lunch that’s picnic perfect. Round out your lunch with a quick, easy salad and something a little sweet so you’re fueled up to explore the rest of the zoo!
- 2 5-ounce cans yellowfin tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Place the tuna in a medium bowl and break up with a fork until finely shredded.
- Add the carrot, celery, onion, lemon zest, juice, parsley and mayonnaise to the tuna. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.