Take advantage of your zucchini surplus and whip up this easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread to have on hand for impromptu snacking. Easy to make and the flavor will guarantee it will be gone in a flash.
It’s September 14th….and I’m watching Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. That’s right, the Christmas spirit is brewing in my house. I started getting out the fall decorations in the form of a wreath for the front door and one mantel arrangement. That’s it. My neighbor has her pumpkins out already and I’m hear watching Christmas movies. Stupid humor aside, I love Home Alone 2. It takes place in my favorite city ever, New York, and during my favorite holiday. AND I’m ready to skip over Halloween, put up the Christmas tree and start the holiday shopping. Who’s with me?
I know most of you are still wishing it was summer…me, too. But if it can’t be summer, let’s have a little snow…some twinkle lights and hot cocoa with marshmallows. Let’s bundle up and start baking. Baking things like Banana Bread and Bread Pudding….but with things we have around the house…like this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread. Because it is still summer, after all…and who am I to rush the seasons. And I will watch this movie 37 more times before the Christmas season even arrives.
But in the meantime, I’ll savor fall and the turning of the leaves…I’ll bake bread and sip some apple cider. I’ll use up the last of the zucchini my sister in law keeps stuffing into my bag whenever I visit and then I’ll eat loaf after loaf of this crazy addictive Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread until my pants are strangling my waist. It’s so easy to make and I have a lot of zucchini left.
I created this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread by adapting it a bit from my original Banana Bread recipe. The zucchini keeps the bread incredibly moist and the chocolate chips just melt into tiny puddles of chocolatey happiness speckled throughout the loaf. The banana is bold and sweet, the perfect contrast to the zucchini. Kids LOVE this stuff….I’m not kidding. I gave a slice to my little guy….dubbed it Chocolate Chip bread, he took a bite and then shoved the whole thing in his mouth. I told him it had zucchini in it and he said you couldn’t even taste it. That’s a win for me!
If you like banana bread…and you like zucchini bread…and you like chocolate chips…this bread is for you. If not, give these muffins a try…..or these muffins. I guarantee, you’ll find SOMETHING to bake away the fall while you’re patiently waiting to string up those holiday lights.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 1/2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar and butter beating at medium speed until fluffy. On low-speed, add the zucchini, banana, milk, greek yogurt and eggs mixing until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Keeping the mixer on low-speed and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat just until blended. Add the chocolate chips and stir briefly.
- Pour the batter into a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan coated with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.