Best Hamburger Seasoning
No burger is ever complete without this easy homemade Hamburger Seasoning! Sprinkle this delicious mix of spices on top of ANY burger patty to elevate it to a whole new level of delicious. Make this mouthwatering burger seasoning for your next backyard barbecue!
If you’ve ever had a really good burger from a restaurant and thought, wow, why aren’t my burgers this mouthwatering and savory? It’s because you didn’t use any hamburger seasoning! With summer basically here already, grilling season is upon us, and you’re going to need this seriously incredible seasoning on hand. You’re going to love having a jar of this stuff to reach for!
The combination of spices in this hamburger seasoning is all savory and rich, with just a touch of sweetness from a sprinkle of light brown sugar. And don’t worry, the brown sugar doesn’t stand out when you’re eating – I’m sure a bite of sugar in the middle of a burger doesn’t sound appetizing. The sprinkle of sweetness balances perfectly with the other savory ingredients in a truly delicious way.
As if the brown sugar wasn’t enough to make your mouth water, the perfect amount of cayenne pepper spices things up perfectly without making the seasoning too spicy! With as delicious as the cayenne and brown sugar are, the ground mushroom might just be my favorite addition. The mushroom powder adds an extra umami richness that makes your burgers taste extra meaty. While it’s optional, it’s highly recommended!
How to Make Burger Seasoning
Just like any other good seasoning recipe, this hamburger seasoning comes together in no time. Skip the store-bought hamburger seasonings and make your own with ease! (Also, it’s way, way better than the store-bought stuff!)
Whisk: Whisk together the paprika, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and mushroom powder (if using) until combined.
Use or store: If you’re about to grill, use your hamburger seasoning right away by sprinkling as much as your want on top of your patties! You can also store the seasoning in an airtight container, where it will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 3 months.
Variations to Try:
- You can change the levels of sweetness and spicy by altering how much cayenne powder and light brown sugar you put into the seasoning. Just be careful, as both the sugar and cayenne are very powerful flavors and can overpower the other seasonings.
- If you don’t like mushrooms at all, you can leave out the ground mushroom powder. However, I love it SO much in there! Sometimes, I even make my own by grinding dried porcini mushrooms into a fine powder using a food processor. You could also use a food mill.
- For a little added texture, toss in some dried minced onions to the mix. The flavor and gentle texture of them is delicious on a burger!
Ways to Use Hamburger Seasoning:
Honestly, I feel like I’ve been putting this seasoning on just about everything lately!
- Of course, the most traditional way to enjoy this hamburger seasoning is to sprinkle it on a beef patty before grilling or baking it.
- This seasoning is also good on turkey patties, chicken patties, or even plant-based vegan patties.
- Meatloaf is also so much more delicious when mixed with this hamburger seasoning!
- Strange as it may sound, this seasoning is also amazing on top of grilled chicken breast.
More Burger Favorites:
Homemade seasoning isn’t the only way to step up your burger game!
- For the best buns EVER, make some Homemade Brioche Burger Buns.
- If you love a good savory burger, then you really need to toss some Caramelized Onions on it!
- Consider serving some delicious Baked Parmesan Truffle Fries on the side.
Making homemade seasonings is an easy and inexpensive way to make everything you cook so much more delicious! Be sure to check out some of my other favorite seasoning recipes.
For more easy recipes, follow us on Instagram and Facebook.
Get the Recipe: Best Hamburger Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mushroom powder, optional
- Whisk together the paprika, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and mushroom powder (if using) until combined.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 months.
- To use, sprinkle on hamburger patties before cooking.