Easy Homemade Ranch Seasoning
Better than Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning recipe made completely from scratch in just a couple minutes. All the flavor of your favorite Ranch Seasoning packet made without preservatives and ready for your favorite ranch recipes!
I’m on a plane again….returning from Iowa! I had so much fun on a trip to check out some Iowan agriculture and I can’t wait to share all the details with you next week. But now….I’m totally exhausted and looking forward to some much needed relaxation tomorrow. With a laptop chained to me because I’m soooo behind on work right now, it’s actually ridiculous.
But I’m finally feeling like I have a handle on things and thankful I whipped up a batch of this Easy Homemade Ranch Seasoning right before I left! It’s my secret FLAVOR weapon when I know I have to get dinner on the table in a hurry!
This easy Ranch Seasoning recipe is super simple to make because you just whisk everything together in a big bowl and then transfer to an airtight container to store until your ready for some ranch-y goodness! It’s fantastic on just about everything but you can even make your very own homemade Ranch Dressing in a matter of minutes.
And if you’re anything like some of my friends and family members, you’re going to want to make your Ranch Seasoning in BIG batches because you’re going to want to use it on EVERYTHING. EVERY SINGLE DAY.
EASY HOMEMADE RANCH SEASONING
This recipe was inspired by the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix recipe….you know the one, the dry ranch dressing mix that comes in the packet? I used it in this easy grilled chicken recipe and it’s a total flavor bomb!
If you’ve never had Ranch Dressing it’s basically a buttermilk based dressing combined with salt, herbs, mustard, garlic, onion, salt and spices. Mixed with mayonnaise or another oil based emulsion, it’s rather creamy in nature but the flavor is tangy and bright.
Dry Ranch Seasoning mix has all the same flavors as Ranch Dressing but because it’s made with dry buttermilk powder it’s easy to use it as a seasoning for chicken, beef, snacks, popcorn and more!
WHAT IS RANCH SEASONING MADE OF
The base of ranch seasoning mix is dry buttermilk powder but other seasonings are added to boost the flavor.
Here’s what you will need:
- Dry Buttermilk Powder
- Dry Parsley
- Dried Dill Weed
- Freeze Dried Chives
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
WHAT IS DRY BUTTERMILK POWDER
Buttermilk Powder is a culture product made of lowfat or skim milk with nonfat dry milk solids added.
Buttermilk Powder is made by removing water from liquid buttermilk that was created by churning butter and then pasteurized prior to condensing.
If you can’t locate dry buttermilk powder you can substitute with dry milk powder but you won’t have the tanginess of the buttermilk. You can easily buy dry buttermilk powder online if you’re having trouble locating it locally.
HOW TO MAKE RANCH SEASONING
Making homemade Ranch Seasoning mix is super easy to do in just a few minute.
Here’s how to make Ranch Seasoning:
- Add the buttermilk powder to a bowl and make sure all the lumps are removed, if necessary.
- Whisk in the parsley, dill, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the dry ranch seasoning to an airtight container and store at room temperature until ready to use.
You can store your Ranch Seasoning in a dry place, in an airtight container for up to 6 months. But I am sure it won’t last that long.
This homemade ranch dressing mix is so totally versatile you’ll be using it in your favorite recipes every week.
HOW TO USE RANCH SEASONING
Besides the grilled chicken recipe I mentioned before, these are a few of the ways we like to use Ranch Seasoning:
- Sprinkle on a bowl of buttered popcorn.
- Add a spoonful to your favorite chicken marinade.
- This easy pasta is amazing with a bit mixed in at the end.
- Whisk with a bit of milk to make an easy homemade ranch dressing.
- Add to this Buffalo Chicken Dip for added oomph!
Believe me when I say this is wayyyy better than the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing recipe and will last so much longer, too. Bonus points that you can make it in big batches to sprinkle on all the things as much as you want.
MORE EASY PANTRY RECIPES
- Quick and easy Cinnamon Sugar
- Everything Bagel Spice is EVERYTHING
- Make this easy Half and Half from scratch (and whisk in some ranch seasoning for a light ranch dressing)
- HOMEMADE Taco Seasoning is a kitchen staple
Easy Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Dry Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 1/2 tsp freeze dried chives
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Whisk the dry buttermilk in a bowl to remove any lumps.
- Add the parsley, dill, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to the buttermilk. Whisk to combine.
- Transfer the Ranch Seasoning mix to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place like the pantry for up to 6 months.