The Very Best White Queso Dip Recipe
The easiest and BEST White Queso Dip recipe made without processed cheese! Super creamy, smooth and rich, this simple party staple is absolutely fool-proof. A hint of spice will keep you coming back for more!
I’m going to fill you in on a little secret….I shared it here before but maybe you’re new and don’t know me very well. Or maybe you’re one of my internet besties but the story was so long ago you may have forgotten. OR maybe you’re just here for the recipes and you usually just scroll down to the bottom of the page whisking through all my witty banter because you have a houseful of kids that need to be fed. Either way…here it is. I used to hate Mexican food. All of it. And you know why…because I based my love/hate of Mexican food solely on one meal I had at Taco Bell. Judge away, my friends. Judge.Away. But it’s all cool now because during my second pregnancy all I craved was Mexican so I’m on the enchilada loving band wagon complete with loaded nachos, margaritas and creamy Queso dip.
I don’t know what has come over me but I’m not one of those people that totally counts down the days until Taco Tuesday and literally salivates the moment someone mentions Cinco de Mayo. So, it was my duty to add more cheesy goodness to the mix in the form of the BEST White Queso Dip recipe ever. And I can say that with the utmost confidence because this recipe didn’t come easy. I wanted one without using that shelf stable processed cheese that is so common in many recipes and I wasn’t a fan of the addition of American cheese so I had to test this one many, many, many, many times to get it right….and fool-proof.
And that is is….fool-proof. The Very Best White Queso Dip recipe that’s so easy to make…no risk of the sauce breaking or becoming chalky (just an FYI…chalky cheese is never good). I added jalapeños to the mix to give it some spice and then topped it with sliced tomatoes so it wouldn’t get watered down. If you’re not a fan of a creamy queso dip you should definitely check out this Queso Fundido with Chorizo….it’s equally, stinking awesome! And next week, we’ll be sure to wash them both down with an icy cold Margarita!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
- 8 ounces Colby jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- In a medium heavy bottom skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Stir in the jalapeño and cook until fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the kosher salt and milk. Cook until simmering, then reduce heat to low.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the Colby jack cheese and stir. Cook until smooth and creamy.
- Top with the tomatoes and serve immediately with chips.