Perfect for potlucks, parties, or just to excite the family on a weekday night, Cannoli Dip is the ultimate crowd pleaser! This thick, sweet dip is made with all the traditional cannoli flavors you already know and love. The best part? Unlike a normal cannoli, you can have as much cream as you want with each bite!
Have you ever had a cannoli that was delicious, but didn’t have quite enough cream to satisfy your sweet tooth? That’s the worst! The cannoli shell to cream ratio is very important to me, because the cream is definitely the best part. That’s why I’m so head over heels smitten with this easy homemade cannoli dip recipe! I can load my cannoli shell with as much of the sweet creamy dip as I please.
When I talk about crowd pleasers, this dessert dip is at the top of the list. I’ve served this dip at small events like girls nights and larger events like Christmas Eve gatherings, and it’s a massive hit every time! In fact, when I make it for a larger crowd, I always double the recipe because I know it’s going to disappear in no time flat. After all, who can deny sweet vanilla cream with tangy notes of cheese and loads of mini chocolate chips?!
How to Make Cannoli Dip
- Mix. In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and orange peel.
- Beat. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed until it’s creamy.
- Chip it up! Reserve 1 tablespoon chocolate chips for garnish, then stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle. Sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips for garnish.
- Chill. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes before serving.
In an airtight container in the refrigerator, cannoli dip will stay fresh for up to 3 days. Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container or wrap the serving bowl in plastic wrap so the consistency stays perfect! While I usually only refrigerate mine for a half hour or less before serving, this dip is still just as fresh when chilled for longer, especially in the first 24 hours of being made.
Can I use regular cream cheese instead of mascarpone?
So here’s the deal – regular cream cheese will give you a very similar consistency. However, the flavor will be a little off! With cream cheese, the dip will taste more like a cheesecake and less like a real cannoli filling, which is what we’re going for here. Mascarpone is a tangy, creamy Italian cheese that really creates the most authentic, delicious filling for cannolis. Try your best not to substitute it with anything else, even cream cheese!
What to Dip It With
If you can get your hands on some cannoli shells at the grocery store, then you’re in for a real treat! Cannoli shells dipped into this dessert dip really make for the best bite.
However, there are plenty of other ways you can get creative, too! Chocolate chip cookies are delicious, as are broken up pizzelle. To be honest, you could probably just eat this cannoli dip with a spoon, too – I won’t judge!
Take a “dip” into more sweet dessert dip recipes!
For more easy family recipe ideas, follow us on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Easy Cannoli Dip Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese, from 15-oz container
- 1 8 oz package mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips, plus more for garnish
- Broken cannoli shells for dipping
- hand mixer
- In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and orange peel.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth.
- Reserving 1 tablespoon of the chocolate chips for garnish, fold in the remaining chocolate chips until well combined.
- Sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with broken cannoli shells, waffle cones or cookies.