Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
Totally amazing Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast is an easy dinner to prep ahead making your weeknight meals come together in minutes! Spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breasts baked to a golden, melty perfection will have your family begging for seconds. If you like spinach dip…..this easy oven baked chicken recipe is for you!
Budget recipes reign supreme right now and buying chicken breasts in bulk helps keep the spending in check. You definitely get more bang for the buck when bulk buying but transforming chicken into something amazing can hurt the brain. Enter my favorite Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
These Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts are simple and amazing, you can even prep them in advance for an easy weeknight dinner.
I’m definitely not blazing any trails here with this recipe but I can assure you that this is the BEST Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe you’ll ever make. Spinach cream cheese stuffed chicken breast is the ultimate dinner recipe and kids absolutely devour it….even though it’s loaded with the green stuff.
To come up with this idea…..I blended together the same ingredients I use for my favorite spinach dip recipe and then, basically, sandwiched them inside a chicken breast that I cut a tiny little pocket into the side of. So many variations of stuffed chicken cutlets are only limited by your own imagination. If you’re not a fan of spinach you can stuff your chicken with asparagus, broccoli or absolutely nothing but the cream cheese filling. Not too shabby if you ask me.
Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
Basically, in a nut shell, stuffed chicken breast is exactly that. A butterflied chicken breast cutlet stuffed with whatever your little heart desires. You can be as creative or as basic as you want stuffing your chicken with anything you like.
How To Make It
Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast is so easy to make with ingredients you already have in your kitchen. I like to use frozen, thawed spinach that’s been drained so that I always have it on hand. Fresh spinach spoils so quickly and has to be chopped, then sautéed before mixing with the cream cheese mixture. Using frozen spinach saves you a step and some money.
Serve with the pan sauce and extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
If you want to amplify the flavor even more, substitute the cream cheese with the same amount of Garlic Herb Boursin Cheese! It’s soooo good.
How Long To Cook Stuffed Chicken
It’s important that your stuffed oven baked chicken breast is cooked all the way through so an instant read thermometer will be your best friend here. Simply stick the instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken (not the stuffing as that will read a higher temperature since it’s not as dense and will heat quickly) and remove the chicken from the oven when the temperature reads 160 degrees F.
Allow your Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts to rest for 10 minutes before serving, the temperature will rise and the chicken will continue to cook a bit while it rests.
This easy Baked Chicken Breast with Spinach and cheese will DEFINITELY become one of your favorite weeknight dinners. It’s also fantastic for easy dinner parties.
How To Prep Ahead
To make this easy Spinach Dip stuffed chicken in advance simply assemble the chicken up to the point of cooking, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
You can make the chicken up to 24 hours in advance and then follow the cooking instructions to complete the recipe.
What To Serve It With
My favorite side dishes to serve with stuffed chicken breasts are:
- Brown Butter Peas with Mint…so fast and easy!
- Bacon Parmesan Roasted Potatoes are crispy and addicting.
- Super easy Honey Roasted Carrots with Tarragon
- Easy Grilled Garlic Potatoes in foil
More Easy Chicken Breast Recipes
- Prune and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Easy Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- The BEST EVER Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts….a kid hit!
Looking for more fast and easy dinner recipes? Be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup frozen, thawed spinach, drained and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lay the chicken breast on a flat work surface and cut almost in half lengthwise but not all the way through so the chicken is butterflied and can open like a book. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Season the inside of the breasts with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the cream cheese, spinach, yogurt, cheddar, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Blend until almost smooth.
- Divide the cheese mixture evenly among the four chicken breasts and spread on one side of the cut half. Close the chicken over the cheese mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and brown on the opposite side for another 6-7 minutes. (Tip: if the chicken sticks to the pan, allow it to cook a bit longer. It will resist sticking when it’s ready to flip.)
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm.
- Add the butter and garlic to the pan sautéing for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant. Add the chicken stock to pan scraping up the brown bits with a wooden spoon or spatula. Stir in the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Return the chicken to the pan and place in the oven. Bake the chicken for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.