Honey Roasted Carrots with Tarragon
Sweet, tender Honey Roasted Carrots with Tarragon is a healthy side dish the whole family will love. Crispy, fresh carrots are tossed in olive oil, honey and seasonings before being roasted to perfection. A great, healthy side dish to every meal.
Now that fall is here….I’m regretting some of my spring planting decisions. Summer is always a learning experience, time for me to look back and realize that it was a bad idea to use honeysuckle as a landscaping treatment….and that bamboo definitely belongs anywhere but in my own yard. This was my year of the vegetable garden and so many lessons were learned….first and foremost, always plant your garden in full sun. This is how we learn, right?
So, the vegetable garden didn’t go quite as planned but we did have a few successes along the way in spite of the poor placement of our plantings. But carrots were not one of them. Good thing I love hitting up the farmer’s market and they are well stocked with sweet, crisp carrots so I made the BEST Roasted Carrots you’ll ever stick your fork into.
These easy Honey Roasted Carrots are ready in under 30 minutes and go with absolutely everything, including our favorite Baked Chicken!
Honey Roasted Carrots
We’re carrot lovers here, for sure, but nothing makes a carrot shine more than roasting them in the oven. These Roasted Rainbow Carrots are sweet, tender and perfectly seasoned with just a simple sprinkle of salt, pepper and fresh tarragon.
Carrots are always an affordable option for a simple side dish, too. And roasting them in the oven helps them develop a deep, concentrated flavor that you just don’t get when you steam carrots on the stovetop.
How To Roast Carrots
This oven roasted carrot recipe is simple to make and if you want to make whole roasted carrots, like I did here, it’s even easier to get the job done!.
Here’s how to do it.
Peel the carrots from stem end to root with a vegetable peeler.
Arrange the carrots in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Whisk together the olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
Pour the olive oil mixture over the carrots and toss to coat.
Sprinkle with half the tarragon.
Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining tarragon.
While we love these roasted rainbow carrots hot out of the oven, they’re also great at room temperature, too.
And you don’t have to use rainbow carrots, you can use whatever carrots you have on hand. Also, parsnips work REALLY well in this recipe, too!
Although rather simple, these tips ensure perfectly roasted carrots every time.
- Roast your carrots at a higher temperature as instructed. Carrots are best roasted at 425˚F for 20 – 25 minutes to allow for caramelization of the sugars in the carrots while still remaining crisp and flavorful.
- If you want to cut your carrots into smaller pieces, make sure the carrots are cut in approximately the same size pieces so they roast evenly.
- Don’t go heavy on the oil, too much oil will change the texture of the carrots so be sure you’re using only the 2 lbs of carrots called for in the recipe and be sure to measure your olive oil.
- Use a sheet pan large enough to allow the carrots to be spread out and not overlap each other. The more room the carrots have to roast the better. Carrots that are crammed on a baking sheet end up steaming instead of developing the deep caramelization that makes them so delicious!
Honey Roasted Carrots with Tarragon are simple and fabulous, tender and sweet. I love that everything is tossed together on a baking sheet and roasted until soft, golden and tasty. Oh, so tasty. And they’re fantastic with a Sunday roast chicken….a pile of mashed potatoes and a bit of gravy (ok, maybe a lot of gravy.) The perfect family dinner.
What To Serve With Them
A lot of people love serving carrots in the spring but these Roasted Carrots are great all year long. We also love them with this easy Filet Mignon for special occasions or a roast pork loin for weekend dinners. They’re a lifesaver during the week with meatloaf, too!
More Easy Side Dish Ideas
Get the Recipe: honey roasted carrots
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped tarragon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the carrots on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour the oil mixture over the carrots and toss to coat. Sprinkle the tarragon over the carrots.
- Roast the carrots in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Serve immediately.