Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes and Mushrooms
Rich and hearty, Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes and Mushrooms is a wonderful one pot meal for a cold winter day. Packed with veggies and lean protein, this creamy soup is still light on calories making it a healthy, tasty way to warm your soul.
One of my favorite ways to find inspiration for recipes is to go out to eat. I love perusing the menus and taking my time to be sure I pick just the right thing. Sometimes….this can take a really long time and my dining companions start to get the “hangries” (anger caused by hunger). Then, I start to stress out because I have to pick an item or two under pressure and it may or may not end in disaster. Like I pick the wrong thing and then want what the person across the table has. And then I have to reach across the table to eat my whole meal…..risking my life as I pick off the other person’s plate, eating their entire French Dip Burger.
This has happened so many times in my life I lost count….and let me give you a word of warning, reaching over the table to pick off a work associates plate is never, ever acceptable. 🙂 But your spouse or lifelong best friend, they can just get over it. As in this case, when my husband ordered his soup at the Cheesecake Factory and I, promptly, confiscated the bowl. It was that amazing….creamy chicken soup with artichokes and peas. It was fabulous…but a weekend special that they kept switching around and we would always miss it. But we craved it like some people crave their morning cup of coffee and we kept going back again….and again….but always on the wrong stinking day! AND THEN a Grand Luxe Cafe opened a few months ago and guess what??? THEY have a creamy chicken and MUSHROOM soup that’s just as amazing but they serve their’s every single day. And I order it every single time….my own bowl….and I share it without biting off anyone’s arm. Because I’m nice like that.
So, I have had plenty of time to figure out how best to duplicate it…all while consuming boatloads of calories in the process. I knew what I wanted to do, besides lightening it up…..I definitely wanted to combine the two soups into one glorious pot of Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes and Mushrooms. An amazingly hearty, yet healthy, meal that is so good you’ll feel it in your bones. Each spoonful is filled with vegetables and chicken swimming in a luxurious bath of flavorful broth.
Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes and Mushrooms is really easy to make in about 30 minutes using leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken. I lightened it up a bit from my Cheesecake Factory and Grand Luxe Cafe inspirations but kept it creamy by thickening it with cornstarch and stirring in a little half and half at the end. Similar to the technique I used in this tortilla soup and this super popular slow cooker soup.
I can guarantee you will love this Creamy Chicken Soup so much it will end up in your weekly rotation….it’s now in our’s and we will never, ever go out to eat again….well, maybe just this week. And just a reminder…don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel so you can enjoy a little entertainment while enjoying your amazing new soup recipe. 🙂
And if you’re looking for MORE easy chicken ideas you have to try these family favorites:
- Oven Baked Chicken Breast…the best recipe ever.
- This Olive Oil Poached Chicken is to die for
- Wild Rice and Chicken Soup is quick for weeknight dinners.
Get the Recipe: Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes and Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced vidalia onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (I use Spice Islands
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chopped frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots. Cook until softened. Stir in the mushrooms. Cook until soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the thyme and cornstarch, continuing to cook for another minute. Add the artichokes, peas and chicken to the pot. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the onion powder and chicken stock. Bring the soup to a boil and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook the soup until it begins to thicken, approximately 4-5 minutes. Stir in the half and half. Cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately sprinkled with parsley, if desired.