Loaded Potato Soup
Creamy, rich, hearty Loaded Baked Potato Soup is simmered all day long in the slow cooker. Easy to throw together in the morning for easy meals during the week. Top with crumbled bacon, chopped scallions and shredded cheese for the ultimate cold-weather dinner.
LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
I’m in love with the Baked Potato Soup at Panera….it’s thick, creamy and filled with all the fixings of a loaded baked potato. It’s the perfect meal for cool fall night and I love that it’s hearty enough to stand alone as dinner with a crisp side salad.
Super easy to make, this one will be on repeat all season long.
How To Make Potato Soup
Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is super simple to whip up and I love to enlist the help of my trusty CrockPot. It’s just minutes of hands on time and then your crock pot or slow cooker does all the work while you clean the house or binge on Netflix.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Saute the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Add the onions and celery to the bacon fat. Cook until softened.
- Place the potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken stock over the potatoes. Stir in the onions, celery, garlic powder, onion powder and dry mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the Baked Potato Soup on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Place 3 cups of the potato and broth mixture in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour the potato puree back into the slow cooker and stir.
- Stir in the half and half, yogurt and cheese.
- Serve with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and reserved bacon.
If you don’t have a slow cooker to make CrockPot Potato Soup you can easily make this on your stovetop by making everything in a large pot or dutch oven. Just cover after you’ve poured all the ingredients in and simmer over medium low heat for 30-40 minutes or until your potatoes are fork tender.
Follow the remaining instructions for pureeing and serving.
How To Make Potato Soup Creamy
It’s so simple to make potato soup creamy without ending up like mashed potatoes or without using a ton of heavy cream. Simply remove a couple cups of the potato mixture and puree in a blender until smooth. Stir the potato puree back into the soup and voila….creamy potato soup. YUM!
If you want to add a little more depth to your potato soup, a dash of half and half or heavy cream lends a super buttery note to the soup that won’t add a ton of calories.
Even better, plop a few tablespoons of cold butter into the soup and stir until it’s melted. This makes your soup velvety smooth.
The Best Potatoes for Potato Soup
The type of potato you use for this Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup is pretty important. I like to use a buttery Yukon Gold because the chunks will still hold their shape but they will puree nicely and provide enough starch to create a velvety texture into the soup.
Russets are great too because of their high starch content but any waxy potato I’ve found doesn’t work as well because they tend to get a little pasty and don’t break down as well.
And you can make this crazy, amazing Crock Pot Potato Soup recipe to chow down on for dinner during the week. It’s so easy to make, you just throw everything into the slow cooker (minus the dairy items) and simmer all day.
This is a lighter version of some of the Baked Potato Soups I’ve had…a few of them so thick they resemble watered down mashed potatoes.
This version has big chunks of potato floating in a light, creamy broth. Bacon, scallions and shredded cheddar just toss this soup over the top. This Healthy Loaded Baked Potato Soup makes a wonderful meal for chilly fall evenings or serve buffet style at a game day party. Like when the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl…..now that was pretty SWEET!
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes and Mushrooms
- The Best Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Spinach // Video
These are a few of our favorites here in our house!
- The BEST BAKED French Onion Soup….that cheesy crust, though.
- Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup.…skip the Panera line!
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is totally amazing.
For more quick, cozy dinner ideas, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cups peeled diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup low-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- 1 slow cooker
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp over med-high heat. Transfer to a paper towel using a slotted spoon and drain off all but two tablespoons of fat.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the onions. Cook for 2 minutes and then stir in the celery. Cook the mixture until softened and then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, stock, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Using a ladle, pour 2 cups of the potato/broth mixture to a blender. CAREFULLY, puree the mixture until smooth. (Cover the top of the blender with a towel, hot liquids in a blender can explode and the towel will protect you.)
- Pour the pureed potato mixture back into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add the half and half, yogurt and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Serve topped with the reserved bacon, cheese and scallions.
15 Comments on “Loaded Potato Soup”
This is right up my street! YUM YUM YUM!
I love using the slow cooker during the week and I who doesn’t love a big ol’ bowl of baked potato soup!
How fun! I heard that conference was awesome! This soup, by the way, looks amazing! I love potato soup!
Yum! Such a delicious idea for a dreary, cold day!
Love an easy crockpot soup! And sorry to hear you’ve worn a dinner before thanks to the hubby. 😀
Only 3 slices of bacon? yeah i’m going to have to multiply that by 20.. lol. This recipe looks great!
I’m sure the flavors in this are amazing after slow cooking all day! And those toppings – YUM!!!
Can you tell me what is half and half please ?
It’s a product in the dairy department with the heavy cream and milk that’s actually just half milk and half cream. 🙂
This looks so creamy and delicious! Perfect soup recipe!
Thank you! It is!
Hello dinner! So cozy and looks deliciuos!
This is really comforting!
My all time favorite soup! I can’t wait to make your version when the weather changes.
The weather has changed here already so it’s totally been on repeat!!! I hope you try it soon!