Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Creamy, rich, hearty Loaded Baked Potato Soup is simmered all day long in the slow cooker. Easy to throw together in the morning for easy meals during the week. Top with crumbled bacon, chopped scallions and shredded cheese for the ultimate cold-weather dinner.
There’s a chill in the air and I’m hanging in the midwest right now with 6000 Sows learning all about pork but that’s a story for another day. Right now, I’m thinking about potato soup…..Loaded Baked Potato Soup to be exact and THIS one is made easy with the help of your slow cooker or crock pot!
I’m in love with the Baked Potato Soup at Panera….it’s thick, creamy and filled with all the fixings of a loaded baked potato. It’s the perfect meal for cool fall night and I love that it’s hearty enough to stand alone as dinner with a crisp side salad. Super easy to make, this one will be on repeat all season long.
How do you make Loaded Baked Potato Soup?
This Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe is super simple to whip up. It’s just minutes of hands on time and then your crock pot or slow cooker does all the work while you clean the house or binge on Netflix.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Saute the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Add the onions and celery to the bacon fat. Cook until softened.
- Place the potatoes in the slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken stock over the potatoes. Stir in the onions, celery, garlic powder, onion powder and dry mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the Baked Potato Soup on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Place 3 cups of the potato and broth mixture in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour the potato puree back into the slow cooker and stir.
- Stir in the cream, yogurt and cheese.
- Serve with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and reserved bacon.
How do you make Potato Soup creamy?
It’s so simple to make potato soup creamy without ending up like mashed potatoes or without using a ton of heavy cream. Simply remove a couple cups of the potato mixture and puree in a blender until smooth. Stir the potato puree back into the soup and voila….creamy potato soup. YUM!
If you want to add a little more depth to your potato soup, a dash of half and half or heavy cream lends a super buttery note to the soup that won’t add a ton of calories.
What kind of potatoes do you use for potato soup?
The type of potato you use for this Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup is pretty important. I like to use a buttery Yukon Gold because the chunks will still hold their shape but they will puree nicely and provide enough starch to create a velvety texture into the soup.
Russets are great too because of their high starch content but any waxy potato I haven’t found work as well because they tend to get a little pasty and don’t break down as well.
And you can make this crazy, amazing Crock Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe to chow down on for dinner during the week. It’s so easy to make, you just throw everything into the slow cooker (minus the dairy items) and simmer all day.
This is a lighter version of some of the Baked Potato Soups I’ve had…a few of them so thick they resemble watered down mashed potatoes.
This version has big chunks of potato floating in a light, creamy broth. Bacon, scallions and shredded cheddar just toss this soup over the top. This Healthy Loaded Baked Potato Soup makes a wonderful meal for chilly fall evenings or serve buffet style at a game day party. Like when the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl…..now that was pretty SWEET!
If you’re looking for MORE easy soup recipes you should definitely try this Cheesecake Factory copycat Creamy Chicken Soup. It’s one of our absolute favorites….or this super easy Vegetable Soup made completely from scratch. It’s sooooooo good!
These are a few of our favorites here in our house!
- The BEST BAKED French Onion Soup….that cheesy crust, though.
- Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup….skip the Panera line!
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup is totally amazing.
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Comforting and hearty this easy Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup is a favorite for everyone in the house!
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cups peeled diced Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup low-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp over med-high heat. Transfer to a paper towel using a slotted spoon and drain off all but two tablespoons of fat. Return the pan to the heat and add the onions. Cook for 2 minutes and then stir in the celery. Cook the mixture until softened and then transfer to the slow cooker. Add the potatoes, stock, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Using a ladle, pour 2 cups of the potato/broth mixture to a blender. CAREFULLY, puree the mixture until smooth. (Cover the top of the blender with a towel, hot liquids in a blender can explode and the towel will protect you.) Pour the pureed potato mixture back into the slow cooker and stir to combine, Add the half and half, yogurt and cheese. Stir to combine. Serve topped with the reserved bacon, cheese and scallions.