Smooth, creamy and sweet, this easy Chocolate Cheesecake recipe is so simple to make from scratch. Rich and decadent, this chocolate-y dessert is the ultimate sweet treat for entertaining. Chocolate lovers just can’t get enough.
I’m a self-professed chocoholic. Turn it into a cake and I’m all in. No chocolate dessert is safe with me, ever. That’s why when I make a chocolate dessert for The Suburban Soapbox, I have to promptly evict it from my house once the photos have been taken or I’ll eat the whole thing. That’s exactly what happened to this easy Chocolate Cheesecake.
The first time I tried cheesecake it was a chocolate cheesecake that my mom had made. I never thought I liked cheesecake because, when you think of the name ‘cheesecake’, it doesn’t sound very appetizing….like bread pudding. It sounds weird. Who wants cake made of cheese. Keep in mind this was my 9 year old mind at work.
Then my mom made the BEST Chocolate Cheesecake and everyone was just gushing over it….cue the FOMO….and I needed to take a bite. That was the bite that turned me into the cheesecake lover I am today. I love them all…..especially the Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory. AND the Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake. And basically, any cheesecake they serve there.
How This Chocolate Cheesecake Was Created
So, when I went to work on creating a Chocolate Cheesecake recipe I wanted it to have the light creaminess of a Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake but the bold chocolate-y flavor of the Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake. This easy Chocolate Cheesecake recipe is the best of both worlds.
The recipe my mom used to make was, actually, the Philadelphia Chocolate Cheesecake recipe (I think….that’s what I found in my recipe box.) Mine is very similar but I use more cream cheese and melted semi-sweet chips. I also like to add one secret ingredient to punch up the chocolate flavor and it’s what I use in so many chocolate desserts that it’s almost a staple for chocolate baking, now. It’s my favorite thing to put in these Chocolate Chip Cookies!
How to Make Chocolate Cheesecake
Making this easy cheesecake recipe is so simple. It’s a great make ahead dessert that’s sure to impress any guest. It’s fantastic for every holiday, especially Valentine’s Day. (Or Galentine’s Day if your dude is a non-believer.)
- Preheat oven.
- Make the crust by crushing chocolate cook wafers into crumbs and combining with butter.
- Press the crust into a springform pan and bake.
- Cool the crust.
- Make the chocolate cheesecake filling by combining the cream cheese, vanilla, espresso powder, melted chocolate, heavy cream, eggs and salt.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake until set.
- Chill the chocolate cheesecake overnight before serving.
You do need to plan a day in advance to make this recipe but it’s a great way to get ahead of the game when planning a dinner party or holiday celebration.
How to Freeze Cheesecake
If you want to make this Chocolate Cheesecake recipe several weeks (or even months) in advance, you can totally freeze it with great results!
- Wrap your baked and chilled cheesecake with plastic wrap and then wrap with foil.
- Place the wrapped cheesecake in a ziptop freezer bag and transfer to the freezer.
- Freeze your cheesecake for up to two months.
To thaw, simply remove and unwrap your cheesecake completely. Transfer to a platter and allow to sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
Tips For Perfect Cheesecake
- Be sure all your filling ingredients are room temperature. This allows the ingredients to combine easily and become smooth without any lumps.
- Do not skip the Bain Marie ! A Bain Marie is simply a water bath the helps prevent your cheesecake from drying out during baking. Placing your foil wrapped pan in the water bath during the baking time required will help to eliminate any cracking.
- Do not over bake your cheesecake. The sides will be dry and firm to the touch but the center will still be wobbly. The cheesecake will firm up while it chills overnight.
- To cut your cheesecake, run a knife under hot water and make your first cut. Wipe the blade with a warm, damp paper towel in between cuts.
More Easy Cheesecake Recipes
- Mini Carrot Cheesecakes….my personal fave.
- This No Bake Cheesecake is seriously amazing…and so easy!
- Gingerbread Cheesecake is just what dreams are made of.
- Looking for savory? Try these Parmesan Basil Cheesecakes and watch jaws drop. So amazing!
- Mini Strawberry Pretzel Salad Cheesecake….need I say more?
- Salted Caramel Mocha Cheesecakes will make you weak in the knees.
- The BEST EVER Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe. Ever.
- Or stick with the classic New York Style Cheesecake recipe…..sooo, soooooo good!
Want even MORE easy family recipes? Be sure to follow us over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Easy Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
FOR THE CRUST:
- 2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs approximately 9 ounces whole cookies
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE FILLING:
- 4 8- ounce blocks cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 springform pan
- 1 hand mixer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cookie crumbs, butter and salt until clumps begin to form.
- Press the crumb mixture into a 9 inch springform pan firmly and evenly across the bottom and halfway up the sides.
- Transfer the crust to the oven and bake until set, approximately 10 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool completely. Wrap the bottom and sides of the pan with foil.
- Reduce the oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the chocolate chips and heavy cream to a saucepan over medium-low heat and melt the chocolate until smooth, stirring occasionally. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature but still pourable.
- Add the cream cheese to a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the sugar and vanilla scraping down the sides of the bowl, as needed.
- Add the eggs to the cream cheese mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate and espresso powder to the filling mixture stirring to combine.
- Pour the filling into the crust and set in a deep baking pan.
- Transfer the baking pan to the oven and fill with water. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until set but still wobbly in the center.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled topped with strawberries or just straight up.