The Best Lobster Roll
Skip the overpriced restaurant version and make your own Lobster Roll recipe at home. A much more cost-effective way to enjoy this classic New England treat. Lightly dressed in lemon mayo and melted butter, served on a toasted roll and sprinkled with chives….Lobster Rolls are what summer is all about.
Maine Lobster Roll
I LOVE the beach. I, seriously, think I was born with sand between my toes. There’s nothing more relaxing to me than a beach vacation…..the food, the sand, the ocean and a good book. But mostly the food.
GIMME ALL THE SEAFOOD! The beach has the best seafood restaurants from steamed clams in a garlic butter sauce to tender crab cakes. There’s something for everyone but my personal favorite is the Lobster Roll. Simple, buttery and amazing.
What is a Lobster Roll?
A Lobster Roll is a sandwich traditionally found in New England made of a simple Lobster salad stuffed into a toasted roll and drizzled with butter.
They can be served cold, tossed with mayonnaise, or hot with drawn butter, but the more traditional Lobster roll is served simply with melted butter.
This easy Lobster Roll recipes is quick to prepare and uses common kitchen ingredients….other than the lobster, unless you’re super fancy like that.
It’s a great option for a fancy, not fancy dinner if you want to impress.
How to Make Them
This Lobster Roll recipe is super simple to make. Chopped lobster meat blended with a lemon-y mayonnaise dressing and served in a lightly toasted roll…it doesn’t get any easier than that.
I don’t want to overpower the flavorful lobster meat with tons of mayo….but I do drizzle the beauty with some melted butter. Okay, I drenched the sandwich with some melted butter. It was the right thing to do. Perfect Maine Lobster Rolls.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the lobster meat with the dressing and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and toast the rolls until golden brown.
- Fill the rolls with equal amounts of lobster meat and drizzle with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve immediately.
How heavenly does that look???
If you’re a fan of crab salad you may want to try these easy Crab Rolls, they’re equally delicious!
What kind of bread is used for Lobster Rolls?
While the normal hot dog rolls will do in a pinch, I like to search out the traditional top split, white bread hot dog rolls since that’s how New England Lobster Rolls are served.
Lightly toasted, these buns are the perfect companion to an authentic Lobster Roll recipe.
What sides to serve with Lobster Rolls?
Because the very best Lobster Rolls are fairly simple, I like to serve equally classic sides with my rolls.
Here are some reader favorites:
- Classic Cole Slaw recipe….so New England!
- Basil Parmesan Corn on the Cob
- Easy Grilled Garlic Potatoes in Foil
- The BEST Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Award Winning Macaroni Salad
- Easy Smashed Potato Salad
More Easy Lobster Recipes
If you love Lobster Rolls as much as I do, then I know you’ll love this Lobster Thermidor and this to die for Lobster bisque OR this easy Lobster Mac and Cheese.….OR you can host a big bash and serve them this amazing salad.
Get the Recipe: Lobster Roll Recipe
- 3 1-1 1/2 pound lobsters, steamed and meat removed (about 3 cups lobster meat)
- 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 New England Style hot dog rolls, you can use regular if you can’t find New England style
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Chop the tail into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl with the claw and leg meat.
- Whisk the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss the dressing with the lobster meat and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add two tablespoons of butter. Toast the outside of the hot dog roll in the skillet until golden brown. Flip and toast the reverse side. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Open each roll and fill with 1/4 of the lobster salad. Drizzle 1 tablespoon melted butter over each roll and top with 1 tablespoon chives. Serve immediately.