Easy Classic Lobster Rolls // Video
Skip the overpriced restaurant version and make your own Lobster Rolls at home. A much more cost-effective way to enjoy this classic New England treat. Lightly dressed in lemon mayo and melted butter, served on a toasted roll and sprinkled with chives….this is what summer is all about.
I LOVE the beach. I, seriously, think I was born with sand between my toes. There’s nothing more relaxing to me than a beach vacation…..the food, the sand, the ocean and a good book. But mostly the food….and the book. Oh, the book(s). I used to read 3, on average, while spending a week at the beach. That was pre-Landon. Now, I’m lucky if I get to finish chapter 2. It’s fine though, I enjoy digging a giant hole and looking for shells just as much as a book. Plus, my last book recommendation wasn’t really beach material.
A couple of year’s ago, a friend recommended I take “Fifty Shades of Grey”……to the beach. Yes, she said to read this on the beach. I had already seen all the hype and didn’t really feel a strong pull to read something racy where everyone could see. The only way I could pull this off without feeling like I was leafing through something dirty in public was to cover it with a Harry Potter dust jacket. It just wasn’t going to happen. Not there. No thanks. Sooooo, I still haven’t read the book. And I don’t really care.
BUT the trailer is out for the movie. Have you seen it? It’s pretty steamy. It will be out on Valentine’s Day….and I’m thinking this is not a movie I want to see in public. It’s like reading the book on the beach, but in a dark room….with strangers…munching on popcorn and slurping sodas. No privacy, ya know? But whatever. I’d rather eat beach food. Without a book. Or a steamy movie. How about some steamed lobsters? Or some buttery Lobster Rolls made from scratch in just a few minutes?
Lobstah salad, stuffed into a buttery toasted roll is more my speed. And I used a teeny, tiny amount of lemon mayonnaise that took like two seconds to whip together. I didn’t want to overpower the flavorful lobster meat with tons of mayo….but I did drizzle the beauty with some melted butter. Okay, I drenched the beauty with some melted butter. It was the right thing to do. Perfect Lobster Rolls.
If you love Lobster Rolls as much as I do, then I know you’ll love this crab recipe and this to die for Lobster bisque! OR you can host a big bash and serve them this amazing salad. So…tell me…have you read the book? Will you go see the movie? In a theater with strangers chewing in your ear? 🙂
Easy Classic Lobster Rolls
perfect summertime lobster roll
- 3 1-1 1/2 pound lobsters steamed and meat removed (about 3 cups lobster meat)
- 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 New England Style hot dog rolls you can use regular if you can't find New England style
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Chop the tail into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl with the claw and leg meat. Whisk the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss the dressing with the lobster meat and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add two tablespoons of butter. Toast the outside of the hot dog roll in the skillet until golden brown. Flip and toast the reverse side. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Open each roll and fill with 1/4 of the lobster salad. Drizzle 1 tablespoon melted butter over each roll and top with 1 tablespoon chives. Serve immediately.