Bacon Horseradish Egg Salad Recipe
Step up your brown bag with a Bacon Horseradish Egg Salad Sandwich! This twist on the classic egg salad recipe adds a zippy flavor with horseradish and richness with bacon. Super easy to make in minutes!
We’re now at the time of year where the brown bag lunches can tend to get a little boring…..already. And I’m all about a “not sad desk lunch” because I had my fair share of them when I was working in a cubicle. Tuna Salad is always my default sandwich….as is egg salad so both tend to get a little old as we roll into fall.
So, fun twists on my favorite classic sandwich recipes are a must and, believe me, I had plenty of time working in an office to test out all the variations on the classic egg salad recipe. I had some bad sandwiches that I won’t subject you all to but this Bacon Horseradish Egg Salad sandwich recipe has been on repeat for years even since I left the corporate world.
I’m sure all of you have had some really GREAT egg salad sandwiches and some really HORRIBLE egg salad sandwiches but I can assure you that this is the BEST Egg Salad recipe ever.
I came up with the idea for Bacon Horseradish Egg Salad when I was whipping up deviled eggs several years ago. I just happened to have some leftover bacon from breakfast and decided to make a Bacon and Egg Deviled Egg kinda thing but then, at the last minute, I figured a dollop of horseradish would go well in the filling. That’s when THESE Deviled Eggs were born.
And since they were so insanely addicting, I thought what better way to get the same flavor but in an easy Egg Salad recipe. So, I crisped up some extra bacon and added it directly to the egg salad along with another spoonful of horseradish. It’s tangy, salty, rich and amazing….and you don’t even have to make an egg salad sandwich, you can just scoop it up with a spoon.
HOW TO MAKE EGG SALAD
This Bacon Horseradish Egg Salad is super easy to make. I use this Hard Boiled Egg Recipe to make a big batch to keep in the refrigerator for egg salad emergencies. It’s a thing here.
Here’s how to make the BEST Egg Salad:
Cook the bacon until crisp.
Peel the eggs and chop finely. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the mayonnaise, ground mustard, scallions, celery, horseradish, salt and pepper to the eggs. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Crumble the bacon and fold into the egg salad.
Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
That’s it….totally easy, peasy and perfect for those brown bag lunches! You know….the school field trips, the backpacking trips, the fun…not so office-y lunches. And if you DO take this Horseradish Egg Salad with Bacon to work…your coworkers will either be totally jealous or steal your lunch. It happens. The lunch stealing….that’s a thing, too.
What to Put In Egg Salad
Even though this is a unique egg salad recipe, you may want to experiment with your own variation on classic egg salad.
Here are some of my favorite additions to egg salad:
- Avocado – adds a bit of creamy richness to egg salad and you can use less mayonnaise!
- Pimento Cheese – Just a spoonful adds soooo much flavor.
- Basil Pesto – Trust me here….just try it.
- Everything Bagel Spice – Again…..sooooo much flavor!
- Pickle juice….and chopped bread and butter pickles add so much tang and deliciousness.
- Finely chopped olives are also amazing in your egg salad sandwich recipe.
How Long Will Egg Salad Keep
You can store your egg salad in an airtight container refrigerated for up to five days. I don’t recommend freezing egg salad….ever. It’s never really worked out for me. Plus, this egg salad recipe is so amazing….you’ll be surprised if it lasts longer than an hour.
- Chill your Eggs – Once your eggs are cooked, give them time to chill out in the refrigerator. Using eggs that are still hot or warm will make your egg salad a bit watery.
- Don’t Over Cook – Be sure not to over cook your eggs for two reasons: you want the yolk to be creamy, not chalky, so that it blends smoothly into the dressing mixture…..and overcooked eggs can make your egg salad watery.
SUBSTITUTE FOR MAYONNAISE
If you don’t want to use mayonnaise in your egg salad recipe, you can use greek yogurt. The flavor will be much tangier than mayonnaise but you will definitely be keeping the fat and calories in check.
MORE EASY LUNCH RECIPES
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad is super simple and packed with flavor.
- Kid friendly, easy to make English Muffin Pizza
- The BEST EVER Ham Salad Recipe!
- Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad…..so easy, fresh and light!
- Super easy Chicken Waldorf Salad.
Get the Recipe: Bacon Horseradish Egg Salad Recipe
- 7 hard boiled eggs peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, mayonnaise, ground mustard, scallions, celery, horseradish, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Crumble the bacon and fold into the egg salad.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.