Yum Yum Sauce
After tasting this easy homemade yum yum sauce, you’ll never go back to the restaurants again! If you’re craving hibachi, you HAVE to make this along with your chicken and rice. Whip up a batch of this mouthwatering sauce today, and thank me later!
Yum Yum Sauce
So, what is yum yum sauce? If you’ve ever been to a Japanese steakhouse like Benihana and had hibachi, then you should already be familiar with this decadent sauce. If not, prepare to fall in love!
Yum yum sauce is a creamy, tangy sauce that perfectly compliments dishes like hibachi chicken, rice, and veggies. No hibachi meal is ever really complete without this mayonnaise based sauce on the side!
It’s also so much more than just mayo, though. Made with flavorful ingredients like rice vinegar, paprika and garlic powder, it’s pretty impossible to not crave this sauce. Just ask my family – as soon as they know I’m making hibachi for dinner, the first question is always, “you’re making yum yum sauce, right?”
Once you taste this sauce, you’ll understand why we’re all so enamored by it. It’s SO easy to make, has simple and inexpensive ingredients, and is beyond delicious. Simply put, it’s the best!
How To Make It
You probably already have almost all of the ingredients you need to make this sauce in your kitchen now. For being such a mouthwatering sauce, you’d never believe how simple it really is!
You only need about 5 minutes to actually make the sauce. Crazy, right?! The only hard part is waiting for it to chill in the fridge. Your patience will pay off, though!
- Mix it up! This is the fun part, obviously. If you have kids in the house, they’ll love helping out with this step! Toss all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly until everything is fully combined. You can use a whisk or stirring spoon!
- Let it chill. Once you’re done mixing it all up, cover the bowl and let it chill for at least 2 hours before serving. However, for the best flavor results, let it chill overnight.
- Serve or store it. To store the sauce, simply put it in an airtight jar in the fridge, where it’ll stay fresh for up to a week! Or, you know, you could just serve it right away if you’re like me and just can’t wait that long. Either way, enjoy!
How should I serve yum yum sauce?
If you ask my kids, this sauce should be served with a straw. Really though, you can add it to literally everything with your hibachi meal! Use it to dip in your chicken and veggies, or mix it with your fried rice. I swear, I love a good hibachi dinner, but I think adding the yum yum sauce to my plate is the best part. I find myself craving the sauce more than anything else!
Can I change the texture?
I prefer my yum yum sauce to be extra decadent and creamy. However, if you want it less creamy, feel free to add water to your mixture! Just add little by little as you go until you reach the desired texture. Remember, you can always add more water, but you can’t take it out if you accidentally add too much.
How can I make it spicy?
Spicy yum yum sauce might not be my thing, but plenty of people love it! I’d recommend making it spicy by adding a tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce, like sriracha! You can even toss in a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper or a dash of red pepper flakes if you’re really looking to turn up the heat.
More Homemade Sauces
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- The Very Best Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Easy Bearnaise Sauce
- Easy Spanish Romesco Sauce
- Easy Homemade Steak Sauce
FOR MORE EASY FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPES, FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK!
Get the Recipe: Homemade Yum Yum Sauce
- 1 cup quality mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Thoroughly combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Preferably overnight for best flavor results.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge where it will keep for up to a week.