Mediterranean Lentil Salad with Grapes and Lemon Vinaigrette
Light, refreshing and satisfying, this easy Mediterranean Lentil Salad is packed with flavors you will love. Juicy grapes, crisp bell peppers, scallions and lemon mingle perfectly with lentils in this simple to make in minutes salad.
Summer or fall, I love a refreshing salad that’s easy and not necessarily loaded with lettuce. Enter this amazing lentil salad that’s fresh and flavor packed. It’s also loaded with fiber, vitamins, minerals…ya know, all the healthy stuff. Bonus points, my kids will even eat this without even blinking. Winning at the healthy dinner time over here.
MEDITERRANEAN LENTIL SALAD
This lentil salad is one that I stumbled upon and a few summers . I’m not a huge fan of lentils, I’ve only ever had them a couple times prior in a premade meal provided by a diet food company when I was following The Zone diet.
Lentils are an edible legume. They’re high in protein and fiber making them a great substitute for meat. They also are high in folate, iron, phosphorus and potassium. Because they’re so high in fiber, they help you feel full faster.
How To Make It
The Mediterranean Lentil Salad is wonderfully refreshing! It’s perfect for a summer barbeque since it doesn’t contain mayonnaise and the light lemon dressing is just enough to give it some tang. The lentils hold up very well and pair suprisingly well with the grapes. This may just be your go to dish for a picnic or a potluck! It’s always a huge hit at every gathering just like this easy corn and black eyed pea salad or THIS macaroni salad!
Cook the lentils, drain and transfer to a bowl.
Stir in the remaining salad ingredients.
Whisk together the dressing and pour over the salad.
Toss to coat.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- You can use dried lentils but I prefer buying mine already cooked. Some grocery stores sell them packaged in the produce department, I purchase mine from in the produce section of my store…Melissa’s produce makes them, too. So, they’re fairly easy to find.
- Use a variety of crisp, colorful vegetables. Shaved carrots, chopped nuts, and even orange segments go well in this salad.
- Make a day in advance for the best flavor. Even though this salad is mind-blowing served immediately, if you make it in advance….the flavors have a chance to get all in the goodness. Your patience is rewarded!
What To Serve It With
We also love it with these main dishes:
Get the Recipe: Italian Lentil Salad with Grapes and Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 pound lentils, recommended: Sabarot
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup halved seedless green grapes
- 1 cup halved seedless red grapes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, from about 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, from 1 to 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 18 to 20 minutes. Drain and let cool for 5 minutes. (If you're using packaged, cooked lentils you'll only need to rinse and drain them.) Place lentils and remaining salad ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- Place the lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly add the oil, whisking constantly, until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss well.