Mini Irish Soda Bread Muffins
Soft and sweet, bite-sized mini Irish Soda Bread Muffins are a wonderful addition to your St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Studded with golden raisins and sprinkled with caraway seeds, the flavor in these cute little morsels is simply addicting.
Let’s talk about Super Tuesday…..shall we? Oh…nevermind…politics make my head spin and really, I’d like a whole new candidate pool. Like when you have a job opening and you get a bunch of applicants….and you don’t like any of them. What do you do? You look for NEW applicants that may better be qualified for the job. So, my only input into the whole political “thing” going on right now is that I think we need to find new candidates before we go any further. And while we wait for new qualified applicants….let’s eat some muffins. Festive little muffins that will help soak up some of that green beer you’ll be tipping back on St. Patrick’s Day.
I went almost my whole life without ever baking Irish Soda Bread OR even taking a bite of it. It always looked bland and kinda dry to me but once I had a taste of it, I knew I was hooked. And I decided to take a crack at it myself. I created this recipe a few years ago and was out of buttermilk, a traditional ingredient used when making soda bread, so I subbed in plain Greek yogurt with pretty amazing results. Is it traditional? Certainly not, but I’ll never go back to buttermilk because this version is soft and light with a moist crumb. Speckled with caraway seeds and dotted with golden raisins, it’s pretty spectacular.
Mini Irish Soda Bread Muffins are the perfect size for popping in your mouth. They’d be great at a cocktail party or just in a big basket for munching on during a party with these mini reuben sandwiches. They look super cute next to a platter of Corned Beef and Cabbage. And because they’re mini…..they’re virtually calorie free. 🙂 Pile a mountain of them next to your bangers and you’ll feel more Irish than the sneakiest leprechaun. Even if you’re not even close to being Irish…..like me.
Mini Irish Soda Bread Muffins
Authentic Irish Soda Bread Muffins are tender and moist, fantastic for every dinner or party.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour I use Bob's Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds plus more for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and caraway seeds. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, butter and oil. Slowly add dry ingredients until moistened. Fold in the raisins.
- Fill a greased mini muffin tin 3/4 full of batter. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and caraway seeds. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.