Pan Roasted Filet Mignon Oscar Style
Treat your sweetheart to a simple, yet impressive, dinner for two. Pan Roasted Filet Mignon Oscar Style is an easy dinner that’s ready in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for a weeknight Valentine meal that’s better than any restaurant.
I think I’ve gone out to a restaurant for Valentine’s Day exactly one time in my entire life. Most restaurants are so busy and packed that they have a “modified” menu for the holiday. A special dinner for two…that they can easily pump out assembly line fashion. And sometimes that can leave your valentine a little sad….there’s no room for sad valentines on Valentine’s Day. Right? Well, I may have been a sad valentine because I wasn’t expecting the special menu at my favorite restaurant. I couldn’t order my favorite meal (first world problems, right) and I was limited to three different entrees. So….from that point forward I vowed to take matters into my own hands….like usual.
One of the easiest things I make is Pan Roasted Filet Mignon. It’s simple and quick with minimal mess and since it’s so basic you can top it with just about anything you like or just a bottle of steak sauce. My favorite way to serve it is Oscar style…..topped with jumbo lump crab, steamed asparagus spears and hollandaise sauce. Technically, I think you’re supposed to use Bearnaise sauce but I don’t have that recipe on my blog…and since it’s really like Hollandaise we’ll go with that. If you want a more Bearnaise-y flavor, chop up some fresh tarragon and stir that in. It gives the sauce an amazing anise flavor that is spectacular.
Pan Roasted Filet Mignon is just that….filet mignon roasted in a pan. I like to use a cast iron skillet because it gets screaming hot giving the steaks a nice sear which seals in the juices. Once you have a golden crust on one side, flip them over and transfer to the oven to finish off. When they’re done to your liking, top with a few asparagus spears, a few lumps of crab and your Hollandaise/bearnaise-y sauce. Serve with some smashed roasted potatoes or my favorite Truffle Potatoes au Gratin to really impress your date.
This Pan Roasted Filet Mignon Oscar Style is far better than many restaurants and you can avoid the crowds! And since you “seemingly” went over the top for dinner, keep things simple for dessert with this Homemade Chocolate Pudding or a few Dark Chocolate Champagne Truffles.
- 2 6-8 ounce Filet Mignon Steaks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 asparagus spears
- 1/4 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 cup Hollandaise sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season the steaks liberally with kosher salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Melt the butter in a medium heavy bottom skillet over high heat.
- Add the steaks to the pan. Cook until a crust has formed and golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the steaks and transfer the entire skillet to the oven.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes or until cooked to the desired degree of doneness. (Remove when the temperature reaches 125 degrees for medium rare).
- Transfer the steaks to a platter and cover with foil. Allow the steaks to rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steaks are resting, remove the woody ends from the asparagus and steam in 1 inch of water over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes or until bright green and tender.
- To serve, top each steak with 4 asparagus spears and half the crab meat.
- Drizzle each with 1/4 cup hollandaise and serve immediately with the remaining hollandaise sauce for dipping.
Don't be afraid to remove the steaks from the oven slightly before the temperature reaches 125 degrees for medium rare. They will continue to cook a bit while they rest becoming more medium if removed at exactly 125 degrees.
Leftovers make a great brunch of steak and eggs!