Roasted Honeynut Squash
Tender, sweet and healthy Roasted Honeynut Squash is simple to make. Deeply caramelized and tender, this easy squash recipe is a fall and winter favorite.
We love all things squash in our house. It’s such a simple way to get your vegetables in and the fact that you can keep them on the kitchen counter for weeks on end is a bonus.
I always have a cornucopia of squash in my kitchen all season long. From Delicata Squash to Butternut Squash, there’s no shortage of fall farm fair in our pantry.
New to our cooking rotation is the cutest squash of them all, Honeynut Squash. And it’s soon to be a favorite of your’s, as well.
What is Honeynut Squash
Honeynut squash is a variety of winter squash bredfrom butternut and buttercup squash. It’s similar in shape and flavor to Butternut squash but has a deeper, darker fleshy pulp.
It’s about half the size of a butternut squash and is significantly sweeter so you don’t really need to add much to reap the rewards when you cook a honeynut squash.
You can find Honeynut Squash at just about any well stocked grocery store or farmer’s market during the fall and winter months.
How To Cook Honeynut Squash
Roasted Honeynut Squash is not much different than roasting any other squash.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise using a sharp knife. Be careful because it is tough to cut through.
- Place the squash cut side up on a flat surface and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Arrange the squash on a baking sheet and slice the flesh in a crosshatch pattern. This will help the squash cook more quickly and evenly. You can skip this step and roast it uncut but it will take a bit longer to roast.
- Drizzle the squash with olive oil and season with salt/pepper.
- Roast the squash in the oven at 350˚F for 30 minutes or until the thickest part of the squash is fork tender.
What To Serve With Honeynut Squash
Cut it into cubes and serve on top of a fall inspired salad with a splash of Apple Cider Vinaigrette.
There are really no rules here.
More Easy Squash Recipes
If you like this Honeynut Squash recipe, you should also try this easy Spaghetti Squash recipe. It’s perfect with a drizzle of olive oil, parmesan cheese and garlic.
Or try this easy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with apple…it’s sweet and comforting. The perfect dinner for busy weeknights.
We also love this roasted Acorn Squash with gingersnaps and amaretto. It sounds fancy…..because it is. But OH SO EASY!
Want an easier squash to make? Roasted Delicata Squash doesn’t even need to be peeled. Just cut, remove the seeds and roast!
Get the Recipe: Roasted Honeynut Squash Recipe
- 2 Honeynut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Cut the squash lengthwise in half and place, cut side up, on a flat surface.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. (Discard the seeds or rinse and save for roasting.)
- Cut the flesh of the squash in a crosshatch pattern and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the squash in the oven for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Serve immediately or save for salads. The squash can be served chilled or at room temperature.