Apple Butternut Squash Soup
Fall in a bowl! Apple Butternut Squash Soup recipe is a light, creamy and rich bisque that’s lightly seasoned with the seasons warmest spices. Apples and butternut squash are the perfect match in this simple to make soup recipe.
Originally published October 2017 and updated September 2019.
You know those friends you have that you can go years without seeing or even speaking to…..not even a text….and when you do finally see them it’s like you just saw them yesterday? They’re the best kind of friends. I have a handful of them and one just stopped by for a leisurely lunch last week. It was so nice to finally see her in person and it started because we bumped into each other at the grocery store.
Shocking, because I’m like almost NEVER there. (insert sarcastic grin here) But she and I have been friends for a really, REALLY long time and there were periods of time when we didn’t talk to each other for months (or maybe years) but every single time I see here….it’s familiar. And comforting and I feel like I’m 16 again, until I peek in the mirror but let’s just not go there today.
We had a nice chat about things that are going on in our lives now, like kitchen renovations, hardwood floor installations, kids sports, runny noses, mid-life crisis’s (is that how you spell it???), you know all the things that come with adulting even though we still feel like we’re 25. We’re not.
But it’s nice to know we’re not alone in feeling like we have more life responsibilities that we are mature enough to handle. And we talked about all of this over a light lunch of Easy Butternut Squash Soup with apple and grilled cheese sandwiches. Because when you’re adulting and you want grilled cheese you should fancy it up with a light and vibrant bisque soup recipe.
She was my guinea pig for this recipe, too. Because when I invited her over I had planned to make this Chicken Waldorf salad but ran out of time and couldn’t get to the store.
My family and I had just gone apple picking so we have like 20 pounds of apples that need to be used and since it’s fall, I always have a Butternut Squash lying around. This Creamy Apple Butternut Squash Soup recipe takes no time to make and is lighter than most creamy soups.
It’s the perfect addition to any holiday meal or just a fantastic light lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
This easy Butternut Squash Soup recipe is super simple to make in just under an hour. The apple is the perfect amount of sweetness but not overly sweet still allowing the buttery, earthiness of the squash to shine through.
Here’s how to make Apple Butternut Squash Soup:
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan or stock pot.
- Add the onion and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic.
- Add the squash and apple to the pot. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Cook until the squash is fork tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Slowly add the half and half, stirring to combine.
- Serve immediately.
You can garnish your Butternut Squash Soup with bits of roasted butternut squash, chopped apple, parsley and a swirl of sour cream, if desired.
This Easy Butternut Squash Soup recipe goes well with a hearty fall inspired salad like this Bourbon Roasted Pear Salad (it’s completely bonkers, insanely delicious!).
Butternut Squash Soup with Apple would also be fantastic served in shot glasses for a fun appetizer on Thanksgiving day before you all gorge yourselves on turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing. And if you’re looking for something a little sweeter you should definitely try this Chilled Cranberry Soup….it’s like a sweet treat before dinner!
MORE EASY SOUP RECIPES
- The Very Best French Onion Soup recipe
- Easy Beef Cabbage Soup
- Super simple Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Creamy Apple Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion to the pot and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the squash and the apple to the pot. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the stock into the squash mixture and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and cover with a lid. (Hold the lid with a towel to prevent burns.) Puree the mixture until smooth. Pour the puree back into the pot and return to a simmer.
- Stir the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper into the puree. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the half and half to the soup. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with fresh grated nutmeg, diced apples and sour cream, if desired.