Salmorejo is a chilled tomato soup that’s perfect for those hot summer days! This comfort food is flavorful, yet simple and all-natural with ingredients like juicy ripe tomatoes, garlic, shallots, and olive oil. This rich tomato soup is equal parts cozy and refreshing – the best of both worlds!
Salmorejo is a chilled tomato soup that’s pretty popular in its home country of Spain. Here in the states, you don’t see it listed on too many of our menus. And that’s a shame, because this delicious summery soup is absolutely incredible! On summer days like the ones we’ve been having lately (you know, unbearably hot) soup doesn’t exactly sound like the best lunch or dinner option…
Unless of course it’s this chilled soup made with all-natural ingredients! Tomatoes, garlic, shallots, olive oil, sherry vinegar and just a few pinches of salt and pepper are all you need to make the best authentic salmorejo. It’s a really great recipe for when you need a little comfort, but still need to cool off! Plus, with all of the nutrient rich ingredients in the mix, you can eat your fill without it weighing you down.
Oh, but there is one other key ingredient worth noting here that really gives the soup the proper consistency. Bread! Yes, day old bread gets blended up with the other ingredients in order to thicken up the soup and give it a more creamy consistency without adding any dairy at all. If you’re trying to avoid dairy, this is an excellent recipe to turn to that’ll still satisfy your soup cravings.
How to Make Salmorejo
This easy summery soup comes together with a handful of inexpensive ingredients and simple steps!
- Blend it up. Toss the tomatoes, bread, garlic, sherry and shallots into a blender with half a cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the oil. Drizzle in 1/4 cup of olive oil into the blender until incorporated.
- Season. Add in just a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Chill. Cover the soup and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Enjoy! Divide the tomato soup into bowl and garnish however you’d like. My favorite toppings include olive oil and fresh herbs.
What is salmorejo?
Salmorejo is a chilled tomato soup that hails from Spain. It features tomatoes as the key ingredient and they’re made delicious with garlic, bread, olive oil and sherry. Spain is notorious for their balmy summer weather, which is why they’re also home to the more recognizable chilled soup Gazpacho.
What are the health benefits of salmorejo?
It’s got plenty of vitamins and nutrients from the tomatoes, it’s low in calories, and it’s low in cholesterol. There’s a whole lot to love about this Spanish tomato soup!
How do you garnish salmorejo?
Everyone likes to top off their salmorejo in different ways! Here are some common garnishes that always taste great:
- Olive oil – Keep in mind that good quality extra virgin olive oil will lend the best flavor.
- Chopped herbs – Basil is a good one since it compliments tomatoes so well.
- Serrano ham – While serrano ham is preferred to keep things more authentic, proscuitto will also work well if that’s easier to find.
- Chopped hard boiled eggs
In an airtight container in the fridge, salmorejo will stay fresh for up to 2 days. Give it a good stir before enjoying again for the best consistency. The best part? There’s no need to reheat, of course!
I do not recommend freezing salmorejo. This freshly flavored soup is best when enjoyed within the first few days it’s made.
Enjoy more of my favorite easy soup recipes!
- Watermelon Gazpacho with Whipped Feta
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
Get the Recipe: Salmorejo Recipe (Chilled Tomato Soup)
- 6-8 ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 4-5 ounces leftover day old bread
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Chopped herbs
- Serrano Ham
- Chopped Hard boiled Eggs
- 1 blender
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with the bread, garlic, sherry, shallot and 1/2 cup water until smooth.
- Drizzle in 1/4 cup of the olive oil until well incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Divide the soup evenly among 4 bowls and garnish with the toppings.
- Serve immediately.