Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada
Creamy, tangy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas loaded with tender chicken and melty cheese for a perfect one pot dinner that’s family approved. Soft flour tortillas stuffed with seasoned chicken and covered in a savory white sauce then blanketed with cheese. You won’t be able to resist a second helping.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada
We’re turning your favorite Chicken Enchiladas into a creamy chicken casserole with the amount of sauce I poured into this dish. I love a good enchilada recipe but, most often, I find them to be a little dry and unflavored. One of the reasons I thought I didn’t like Mexican food, to be honest.
But then when I started making my own Chicken Enchiladas at home, my opinion changed since I can now control the amount of sauce, the cheese ratio and exactly what I want to put in them.
These easy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are nothing short of amazing. Soft flour tortillas wrapped around perfectly seasoned shredded chicken and blanketed with a creamy, tangy sauce that’s nothing short of heavenly. Top with a sprinkle (or pile) of cheese for the BEST one pot dinner recipe you’ll ever sink your teeth into.
What are Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas?
I, first, had a Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada at Chili’s in Texas on an emergency stop driving on a highway that never seemed to end. Essentially, it’s a Chicken Enchilada in a creamy white sauce that may or may not have a little bit of spice to it.
It’s one of the most amazing enchiladas I ever tried. It’s creamy with a little heat and tender juicy chicken with melty cheese. Each bite is so flavorful you won’t want the meal to end.
The recreation is just as wonderful and, bonus, it’s super EASY to make. Plus, it’s totally freezer friendly so you can wrap it up and stash it in the freezer for an easy, comforting weeknight dinner without breaking a sweat.
How To Make White Chicken Enchiladas
They seem like they’d be fussy, those chicken enchiladas….but they’re surprisingly easy to make from scratch.
You can make the process even easier if you use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. I like to plan ahead so I make a big batch of this Shredded Chicken and keep it in the refrigerator to fill my enchiladas later in the week.
- To assemble your chicken enchiladas, fill each tortilla with equal amounts of shredded chicken and 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Place in a baking dish coated with cooking spray, seam side down.
- To make the sour cream sauce, melt the butter in a sauce pan and whisk in the flour. Continue whisking until smooth.
- Stir in the chicken stock and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the sour cream, green chiles, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken filled tortillas and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake the chicken enchiladas in a 400˚F oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow the enchiladas to rest for 5 minutes before serving. (Cover with foil while resting to keep warm.)
How to Freeze Chicken Enchiladas
You can totally freeze your Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas for an easy meal in the future.
- To freeze, assemble your enchiladas as directed and cover with plastic wrap. Then, cover with foil.
- Freeze your chicken enchiladas for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, uncover your chicken enchiladas and bake at 400˚F for 1 hour or until cooked through, golden brown and bubbling.
For this recipe, I used just a well seasoned shredded chicken but you can add other flavor enhancers to your enchiladas.
Here are a few of our favorites:
Because these creamy chicken enchiladas are pretty filling, we like to serve ours alongside this easy Wedge Salad.
We like to top our enchiladas with a big spoonful of Homemade Pico de Gallo to add a bit of fresh flavor to the recipe.
Get the Recipe: Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounce can diced green chilis
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, add more for extra spice!
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp ground pepper
- 8 fajita sized flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- jalapenos, diced tomatoes, salsa, for garnish
- baking dish
- In a bowl, toss the shredded chicken with the cumin, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook until smooth.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly to remove any lumps. Continue cooking until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream, chiles, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Divide the chicken evenly among the eight tortillas. Fill the tortillas by placing the chicken in the cente. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons shredded cheese and then rolling the tortilla around the filling to close.
- Place the tortilla seam side down in a 9×13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Continue to assemble the remaining tortillas.
- Pour the sour cream enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the chicken enchiladas for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow the enchiladas to rest for 5 minutes so the sauce can set before serving.
- Top with cilantro, chopped tomatoes, salsa and sour cream, if desired.