Southwest Grilled Potatoes in Foil
An easy summer side dish and a great addition to your tailgating menu, these super easy Southwest Grilled Potatoes in Foil are my go-to for simple dishes with major flavor. Potatoes, peppers, onions and garlic are seasoned with fajita seasoning for a zesty mix of grilled vegetables with mess-free clean up.
Southwest Grilled Potatoes in Foil
We just got back from the beach and I can’t believe it’s over halfway though July already. Why does the summer fly by while the winter drags on….and on…and on. Or does it just seem that way because we have to endure the winter…that it makes me love summer all that much more.
If I had summer year round, I’d take it for granted…most likely. Like I do so many things that make life easier….like Grilled Potatoes in Foil.
We’ve been making these Grilled Garlic Potatoes in Foil packets for years…in fact, I remember my parents making them when I was growing up. We even made this Asparagus Grilled in Foil, too!
It’s such a simple way to make potatoes on the grill without creating a mess or having to worry about overcooking the outside of the potato while the inside is still raw.
We tend to mix up the flavors just a big and these Southwest Grilled Potatoes in Foil are my new favoritest recipe ever.
They have all the flavors of fajitas but they’re served up as a side dish. You could call them Potato Fajitas but we like to have them with grilled chicken or steak.
How to Grill Potatoes in Foil
Making grilled potatoes is really easy to do and leaves you with virtually no mess at all. My favorite thing ever is NO DISHES!
- Cut your potatoes into bite sized pieces and toss with chopped bell peppers, onions and garlic in a bowl.
- Drizzle your vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with fajita seasoning.
- Toss to coat.
- Using two sheets of heavy duty foil and pour the potatoes into the center of the foil.
- Fold the sides of the foil up and seal by crimping the foil on top of the potatoes to form a packet.
- Place the foil packet on the grill over medium high heat and grill for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and serve immediately.
These easy foil packet potatoes are fantastic for cookouts, cooking over the campfire, tailgating or you can simply place them in the oven at 425 degrees if you don’t have a grill. Or it’s winter…..a long cold winter is instantly revived with these potatoes, I promise.
Tips for Making Grilled Potatoes in Foil Packets
- Using smaller potatoes is so much easier since it keeps chopping to a minimum. New potatoes or fingerling potatoes work well because you can just cut them in half.
- Don’t have a grill? You can cook your potato packets in the oven at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Don’t skimp on the olive oil. Too little oil will cause your potatoes to stick to the foil and burn.
How Long to Cook Grilled Potatoes
On the Grill:
- Cook your potato packets over medium high heat, placed directly on the grill rack, for approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove from the grill with tongs and transfer to a flat surface before opening packet.
Over the Camp Fire:
- Place your potato packets on the hot coals (not directly in the flame) and cook for 20-30 minutes, checking occasionally for doneness and turning the packet over, if necessary. Remove from the fire using tongs, the foil will be hot!
In the Oven:
- Place your potato packet directly on the oven rack and bake for 25-30 minutes at 425 degrees.
What to Serve with Them
While you can certainly make a main meal out of these Southwest Grilled Potatoes in Foil, I like to serve them alongside these popular recipes:
- Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken….it’s sweet heat is amazing!
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs…if we’re keeping it indoors.
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts….these can be grilled, too!
- Grilled Steak and Mushroom Kabobs
MORE POTATO RECIPES
- BEST EVER Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Scalloped Potatoes
- Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes
- Potatoes Au Gratin….the only recipe you need.
Want even more easy family recipes? Follow us over on Instagram!
Get the Recipe: Southwest Grilled Potatoes in Foil Recipe
- 2 lbs baby yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup diced vidalia onion
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup fajita seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat the grill
- In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, bell pepper, onion and garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil and fajita seasoning.
- Pour the seasoning mixture over the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Place two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil on a flat surface and pour the potatoes into the center of the foil.
- Fold the sides up around the potatoes and seal at the top by crimping the sides together to form a packet.
- Place the foil packet directly on the grill grate and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. (Be sure to check the potatoes after 15 minutes and to give them a quick toss to prevent the bottom from burning, if necessary.)
- Transfer the foil packet to a flat surface before opening. Serve immediately with chopped cilantro, if desired.
2 Comments on “Southwest Grilled Potatoes in Foil”
good job i like your all recipes