Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
Start your day with classic comfort food! A Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with sausage and cheddar cheese is an easy, make ahead brunch dish that’s so easy to make. Layers of tender tater tots baked with sausage, peppers and onions in a cheesy egg base. A hit with the overnight guests or for a casual Sunday brunch.
With the holidays winding down, the overnight guests may be on their way home. Or not….sometimes you have those hanger outers who stick around for a couple extra days….or weeks. We have a smaller house so we don’t generally have friends or family staying for the night but, occasionally, we have someone passing out on the sofa because of one too many mimosas. That’s when a great, hearty breakfast casserole comes in handy.
If you’re anything like us, you LOVE tater tots. They’re somewhat addicting with their crispy exterior and tender interior. I think they may be even better than french fries….at least the one’s you make at home. So, it’s only natural that I’d find a way to start the day with a plate filled with tater tots and this Tater Tot Breakfast casserole is sure to please!
TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
It you’ve ever had Tater Tot Casserole then this is very similar except it’s made with eggs, cheese, sausage, peppers and onions. It’s much more breakfast-y than a typical Tater Tot Hotdish.
If you’re wondering what a Tater Tot Casserole is, it’s just a casserole made with a base of tater tots that’s baked in a sauce with some sort of meat and vegetables. It’s also known as a hotdish in the midwest and, believe it or not, it’s not very common in the Northeastern US. So, I’m blazing trails over here on the east coast with this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe is super easy to make and you can even make it the day before so all you have to do is pop it in the oven when you wake up in the morning making this a go-to on the regular.
Here’s how to make it:
- Arrange the tater tots in the bottom of a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the tater tots with cooked, crumbled sausage and sauteed peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle the casserole with half the cheese and then pour the egg mixture over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and allow to rest for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Bake the tater tot casserole in the oven for 1 hour or until cooked all the way through.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley, hot sauce and sour cream, if desired.
CAN YOU FREEZE TATER TOT CASSEROLE
The best thing about this breakfast casserole is that you can make it in advance but I wouldn’t recommend freezing it. I found that when I freeze the casserole both before baking and after baking it tends to separate when reheated. The raw eggs, when frozen, get weird, too. I know…that’s a highly scientific way to describe it but that’s all I got for you.
My recommendation is to just assemble the day before and bake right before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
If you need to round out your breakfast even more, you can serve with these easy Smoked Salmon Canapes and a sparkling mimosa. When I’m serving it for a brunch spread, I also like to include these easy Overnight Oats or a simple smoothie recipe to keep everyone happy and satisfied.
MORE EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLES
- Ham Cheddar and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is super simple and savory!
- We are totally loving this Berry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast Casserole.
- A Slow Cooker Cinnamon Roll Casserole is the easy way to brunch.
- This Croissant French Toast Casserole only sounds fancy.
Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
A classic brunch recipe, Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is made with sausage, peppers, onions and cheese for a make ahead breakfast that's sure to please.
- One 16-ounce bag frozen Tater Tots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound spicy bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- Arrange the tater tots in a 9x13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Add the sausage to a large skillet and crumble with a fork. Cook over medium-high heat until browned and no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon and pour off all but two tablespoons fat.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened, approximately 4-5 minutes. Stir in the peppers and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the onion mixture and cook for an additional 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the milk, half-and-half, salt, pepper, cayenne, eggs, and half the cheese.
- Sprinkle the sausage and onion mixture evenly over the tater tots.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tots and sausage mixture, then top with the rest of the cheese.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake, covered, for about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly and the casserole is cooked through, another 20 to 35 minutes.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Casserole can be assembled up to 24 hours in advance and baked right before serving.