Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal (Banana Baked Oatmeal)
Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal is a wonderful make ahead wholesome dish that’s almost like eating dessert for breakfast. Bananas and oatmeal are blended together, topped with a caramel rum sauce and baked in the oven to create this custardy brunch treat.
There are recipes in the archives that are true gems but I’ve totally forgotten about. I’ve done a deep dive into the old faithfuls like Belgian waffles and French crepes but this Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal recipe is one for the record books.
Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal
I just LOVE Baked Oatmeal and banana baked oatmeal is my go-to on the regular because we always have bananas that need to be used up. To make it other level and worthy of the fanciest brunch ever, I added all the flavor of classic bananas foster because rum before 9 AM isn’t a bad thing.
Baked Oatmeal is made with rolled outs, eggs, sugar and other ingredients that bake up to make this cake-like treat decadent and sweet. It could easily pass for dessert if topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
How To Make It
Banana Baked Oatmeal is insanely easy to make and perfect to make in advance for overnight guests.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Stir together the wet ingredients.
Add the wet ingredients to the larger bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
Make the sauce in a small saucepan by bringing the butter, brown sugar and rum to a boil. Remove from the heat.
Transfer the oatmeal mixture to a 9 inch square baking dish.
Arrange the bananas on top and pour the caramel sauce over the bananas.
Bake for 40 minutes or until the oatmeal looks caramelized.
Serve immediately or cover and serve at room temperature.
What to Serve It With
This breakfast is hearty enough on it’s own but we also love it with a fresh, light fruit salad.
Don’t forget the mimosas!
Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal is completely dreamy. It’s what oatmeal should be….loaded with caramelized bananas, drenched in a warm rum caramel sauce and creamy like a smooth custard. Drooling yet?
More Easy Oatmeal Recipes
Get the Recipe: Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal #BrunchWeek
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons rum, divided (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 bananas, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine the oats, banana, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vanilla, rum, eggs, milk and melted butter. Stir into the dry ingredients until well blended.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and rum. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into a 9-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray and arrange the banana slices on top. Pour the caramel sauce over the bananas.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the oatmeal is set and the bananas look caramelized. (If your oatmeal is done but the bananas don't look caramelize, broil for 1-2 minutes under the broiler.)
- Serve immediately.