Blueberry Coffee Cake
This from-scratch recipe for Blueberry Coffee Cake is a staple in my kitchen! A perfect coffee cake for any breakfast or brunch spread, this morning treat is soft, moist, fluffy, and loaded with fresh blueberries. And of course, you’re going to love the signature, yet special coffee cake topping!
Blueberry Coffee Cake
Berry season is here, and I couldn’t be more excited about it! Whether you go berry picking yourself or take a walk through the grocery store’s produce department, now is the time to take advantage of the ripest berries. Blueberries are specifically one of my favorites, and I can’t think of a better way to showcase them than this Blueberry Coffee Cake!
Blueberry Coffee Cake is perfect for serving as the centerpiece of your breakfast or brunch spread during the sunny spring and summer months. It’s stunning to look at, and even more exciting to indulge in! This breakfast cake is sweet, fluffy, soft, and has the best coffee cake topping. While I love a traditional coffee cake topping, this one is enhanced for the summer season with coconut flakes and hazelnuts!
I always love showing off at potlucks and parties, no matter how early in the morning it may be. When I serve this picturesque Blueberry Coffee Cake, it comes with the bragging rights of being homemade! Have no fear, though – it may be homemade, but it’s still hassle-free. Once the batter is whipped up in the correct manner, you just have to bake it and enjoy every last bite. Easy enough!
How to Make Coffee Cake
- Prepare your kitchen. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the yogurt and baking soda. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and eggs. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined.
- Create the batter. Add the dry ingredients to the batter alternatively with the yogurt mixture until well combined. Stir in the vanilla and fold in the blueberries.
- Assemble the cake. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Whisk together the nuts, sugar, cinnamon, coconut flakes and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle, and enjoy! Before serving, drizzle your desired topping over the cake. Slice and serve.
Tips for the Best Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Use fresh, not frozen, blueberries for the best results. If you’re making this cake during the warm spring and summer months, you’ll likely have fresh berries ready and available at a grocery store near you.
- You can omit the hazelnuts and coconut flakes from the topping for a more traditional coffee cake, but they’re really delicious additions that compliment the summery berry flavor!
- Make sure your eggs and butter are both at room temperature! Leave them on your countertop for about an hour prior to cooking.
- Allow the cake at least 20 minutes to cool before drizzling glaze on it. If it’s too hot from the oven, the glaze will melt quickly and not hold the desired shape.
This summer, greet every sunny morning with a sweet treat!
- Easy Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Bananas Foster Baked Oatmeal
Get the Recipe: Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups plain fat free greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter alternatively with the yogurt mixture until well combined. Stir in the vanilla and fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Whisk together the nuts, sugar, cinnamon, coconut flakes and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Before serving, whisk together the powdered sugar and half and half until smooth. Drizzle over the cake. Slice and serve.