Dragon Fruit Smoothie
Dragon Fruit Smoothies are vibrant in both flavor and color! This easy to make homemade smoothie is made with pitaya (dragon fruit), banana, pineapple, and berries, making it so very fruity in flavor. There are also a few secret ingredients in there that make it creamy in consistency and sweetened to perfection!
Dragon Fruit Smoothie
I don’t know if you could tell by the crazy heat outside, but summer is most definitely here! While we’re in the thick of it, I plan on keeping my oven turned off as much as possible and my blender plugged in at all times.
Smoothies are one of my favorite things to make during the warmer months, because they’re so refreshing and fruity! They can always cool me down, which makes the sun a little more bearable.
This Dragon Fruit Smoothie is specifically one of my favorites. I mean, just look at that color! The dragon fruit (also called pitaya) is what gives the smoothie that stunning hue. It’s picturesque qualities aren’t the only reason I blend these up so often, though.
The flavor of this Dragon Fruit Smoothie is like summer in every frozen sip! Dragon fruit, banana, pineapple, and berries are blended together to create a real fruity flavor that’s all natural, and all delicious.
Fruit isn’t the only ingredient at play here! Almond milk and plain low fat greek yogurt work together to create a thick, slightly creamy consistency that makes this smoothie positively dreamy.
While I use regular greek yogurt that contains dairy, you could easily make this smoothie vegan by swapping it out for a plant based alternative. That’s another great thing about making smoothies at home – you can customize them however you’d like!
How to Make It
Blend, pour, sip, repeat!
Toss it all in the blender. Add the pitaya, banana, pineapple, berries, yogurt, almond milk and honey to the pitcher of a high speed blender.
Blend it. Puree until smooth.
Enjoy! Divide the mixture among four glasses and serve immediately.
Variations to Try
- The honey in this recipe is meant to be a natural sweetener that also enhances the sweetness found in the fruits. If you’re cutting down on sugar, you can choose to leave it out and the smoothie will still be natural sugars found in the fruits.
- If you would like a less thick smoothie, add more almond milk or a splash of fruit juice. We love a little orange juice in our smoothies for a hint of citrus!
- Not a fan of almond milk? You can swap it out for coconut milk, oat milk, or another plant based alternative of your choice. You could even use a dairy milk if you’d like.
- The frozen berries I use typically include strawberries and blueberries. Blackberries and raspberries are tasty as well – just make sure they’re also frozen to help create the icy consistency of the smoothie.
What is pitaya?
Pitaya, or dragon fruit, is a fruit that grows on different cactus species that are indigenous to the Americas. It has a tropical appearance. I once read that it looks like a fruit from a Dr. Seuss storybook, and I couldn’t agree more! The flavor of pitaya is like a delicious cross between a pear and a kiwi.
What are the health benefits of dragon fruit?
There. Are. SO. Many! This is a fruit you can feel great about having lots and lots of. This fruit is chock full of vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber, and prebiotics. It’s also low in calories and contains healthy fatty acids. While I’m certainly no doctor, I think it’s safe to say that dragon fruit’s pretty good for you!
Enjoy all of your favorite fruits in these refreshing smoothie recipes!
- Pitaya Smoothie Bowl
- Berry Beet Smoothie Recipe
- Homemade Acai Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- DIY Smoothie Freezer Packs
Get the Recipe: Dragon Fruit Smoothie (Pitaya Smoothie)
- 1 cup frozen Pitaya
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup pineapple
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/4 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Add the pitaya, banana, pineapple, berries, yogurt, almond milk and honey to the pitcher of a high speed blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Divide the mixture among four glasses and serve immediately.