Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwich
This Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwich is the most perfect sandwich recipe for lunch or dinner! Grilled chicken, basil pesto, thick sliced tomato, alfalfa sprouts and fresh mozzarella are sandwiched between two pieces of hearty toasted bread. Each bite of this flavorful sandwich is fresh, hearty, and oh-so delicious!
Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwich
I made grilled chicken pesto sandwiches for lunch a few months ago, and fully intended to continue making them for many lunches to come. However, it wasn’t long before the answer to “what do you guys want for dinner” became these sandwiches! Now, I’ve been making these warm grilled chicken sandwiches pretty much around the clock, and it’s not a mystery as to why.
These sandwiches are super filling from the hearty choice of bread and the thick, perfectly grilled white meat chicken. However, they’re also wonderfully light and fresh with the alfalfa sprouts, basil pesto and thick sliced tomato. These fit perfectly into the “summer sandwich” category, as they’re stuffed with fresh ingredients that you could pick straight from your very own garden. Or, you know, the produce section at your local supermarket. To each their own!
I’ve served these pesto sandwiches with sides like Easy Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips, The Very Best Macaroni Salad, and Parmesan Zucchini Fries. No matter what side dish I choose, it’s always a big hit, since this sandwich is so versatile! Pretty much anything tastes great when it’s plated with such a delicious sandwich, honestly. And of course, these sandwiches are amazing all on their own, especially if you’re making them for a quick and easy lunch.
How to Make It
This sandwich is pretty gourmet, but wonderfully simple to make. From start to finish, these sandwiches should only take about 15 minutes to make!
Prepare. Preheat the grill to medium high heat or heat a grill pan.
Arrange. Arrange the chicken on a platter.
Brush. Whisk 1 tablespoon basil pesto with the olive oil and brush to coat the chicken on both sides.
Grill. Grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes and then flip. Continue to grill for an additional 5 minutes or until cooked through. Internal temperature should read 165˚F on an instant read thermometer.
Toast. Toast the bread on the grill for 1 minute on each side.
Brush. Brush the remaining pesto on one side of each slice of bread.
Assemble. Build the sandwich by layering two slices of mozzarella on two separate pieces of bread. Top the cheese with the chicken and then arrange the tomato slices on top. Sprinkle the sprouts over the tomatoes and top with the remaining slices of bread.
Enjoy! Cut in half and serve immediately.
What kind of bread is best for these sandwiches?
Hearty, thick slices of bread are best for these sandwiches. If your slices are too thin, the thick fillings in the middle of the sandwich will make the whole thing fall apart.
What are some good variations to try?
I love this sandwich just the way it is, but there are tons of different ways you can personalize it and really make it your own, all while staying true to the recipe. Here are just a few ways to shake things up!
- Beefsteak tomatoes are my favorite, but you could also use thick slices of roma tomatoes.
- Not a fan of olive oil? That’s okay! Avocado oil is a great neutral-flavored substitute.
- If you really love pesto and want to play with those flavors even more, add some pine nuts and parmesan cheese to your sandwich. Pine nuts are a key ingredient in pesto, and they’ll add a delightful crunch to the sandwich. Of course, you could also add fresh basil to REALLY enhance the pesto flavor even more.
Craving some more sandwich recipes that’ll really hit the spot? Here are just a few of my favorites!
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwiches
- Italian Pressed Picnic Sandwich
- Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwich
- Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwich with Spicy Steakhouse Aioli
- Classic Muffuletta
Get the Recipe: Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Basil Pesto
- 4 slices hearty bread
- 1 tomato, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat or heat a grill pan.
- Arrange the chicken on a platter.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon basil pesto with the olive oil and brush to coat the chicken on both sides.
- Grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes and then flip. Continue to grill for an additional 5 minutes or until cooked through. Internal temperature should read 165˚F on an instant read thermometer.
- Toast the bread on the grill for 1 minute on each side.
- Brush the remaining pesto on one side of each slice of bread.
- Build the sandwich by layering two slices of mozzarella on two separate pieces of bread.
- Top the cheese with the chicken and then arrange the tomato slices on top.
- Sprinkle the sprouts over the tomatoes and top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Cut in half and serve immediately.