Hot Open Faced Turkey Sandwich
Made with all of your favorite leftovers, this easy to make Hot Open Faced Turkey Sandwich is the best lunch to make the day after Thanksgiving! A hearty slice of your favorite bread is piled high with stuffing, gravy, turkey, and if you’d like, cranberry sauce.
Hot Open Faced Turkey Sandwich
I can just picture it now. Year after year, I stare at my containers upon containers of leftover Thanksgiving food and think… what now? Sure, I can just toss it all back on a plate and zap it in the microwave, but there’s gotta be a better way to use up all those delicious leftover dishes. That’s where this quick and easy hot open faced turkey sandwich comes in to save the day!
While some tried and true leftover-friendly recipes use a few of the leftovers you’re bound to have, this open faced turkey sandwich just about uses them all. I love that I can make this simple sandwich for a quick lunch, or even dinner, and make the most out of my gravy, stuffing, turkey, and cranberry sauce. Trust me, when it’s all layered on a slice of hearty bread, it’s so much better than just enjoying it microwaved by itself.
This easy recipe is also thoroughly kid-approved, too! It’s all of their Thanksgiving favorites on a slice of bread – what could be better than that? I love using up all my leftovers in the days following Thanksgiving not just to be resourceful and creative, but also because I know my whole family will love what’s plated in front of them, no matter how it’s reheated. After all, who doesn’t love Thanksgiving food?!
How to Make It
- Heat it up. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Warm up the turkey and gravy. Add the turkey and gravy to the skillet and warm through, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave the stuffing. Reheat the stuffing in a microwave safe container for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Spread the cranberry sauce. If using, spread 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce over the top of each slice of bread.
- Assemble the sandwich. Divide the stuffing equally among the four slices of bread and spread over the cranberry sauce. Arrange the turkey on top of the stuffing and spoon some of the gravy over the sandwich.
- Enjoy! Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
If you want the best ever ingredients to stack on top of this open faced sandwich, here’s a list of my favorite tried and true recipes!
- Citrus and Herb Roasted Turkey
- Crockpot Turkey Breast
- Sausage and Cranberry Brioche Stuffing
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- The Very Best Brioche Bread
What should I serve with hot open faced turkey sandwiches?
If you’re having one of these leftover-made sandwiches as a lunch, I personally think they’re fine all on their own! However, as a dinner, you may want to make it a heartier meal by plating it with (you guessed it) even more leftover side dishes. If you have any leftover Green Bean Casserole or Sweet Potato Casserole, those each go very well with this Thanksgiving sandwich.
What kind of bread should I use?
Make sure that no matter what kind of sliced bread you use, it’s thick and hearty! Thinly sliced bread will go soggy from the gravy and cranberry sauce. While brioche tends to be my favorite, you could also use Easy No Knead Sourdough Bread or even Homemade White Bread! If your white bread is thinly sliced, just stack two pieces on top of one another to form a more absorbent base for the toppings.
Use up your leftovers in scrumptious ways with these incredible recipes!
- Ross Geller’s Thanksgiving Leftover Turkey Sandwich
- Turkey Stock
- Cheesy Turkey Sliders with Cranberry
- Easy Turkey Tortilla Soup
- Turkey Tetrazzini
For more easy thanksgiving leftover ideas, follow us on Instagram and Facebook!
Get the Recipe: Hot Open Faced Turkey Sandwich
- 1 1/2 pounds leftover turkey, sliced
- 1 cup leftover gravy
- 1 1/2 cups leftover stuffing
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce, optional
- 4 thick slices hearty bread
- Chopped parsley, optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the turkey and gravy to the skillet and warm through, stirring occasionally.
- Reheat the stuffing in a microwave safe container for 1 minute or until heated through.
- If using, spread 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce over the top of each slice of bread.
- Divide the stuffing equally among the four slices of bread and spread over the cranberry sauce.
- Arrange the turkey on top of the stuffing and spoon some of the gravy over the sandwich.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.