One Pot Stuffed Pepper Casserole
One pot magic! Stuffed Pepper Casserole is bursting with vibrant, fresh flavor like bell peppers, onions, tomato and garlic. Ground Beef and rice make the dish hearty for a comforting dinner you can have on the table in less than an hour.
Family dinners in a hurry are key around here lately and one pot meals are even better. I love a great recipe you can make in just one pan so clean up is a breeze and this easy Stuffed Pepper Casserole recipe is a big winner.
Our family just loves a good casserole recipe that’s hearty and comforting. And this one is a riff on our favorite Stuffed Bell Peppers but without all the fuss. While I love stuffed peppers, I really don’t love all the work that’s involved but give me an easy hack and I’m all in.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED BELL PEPPER CASSEROLE
This easy one pot dinner is super simple to prepare in under an hour.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, deep skillet.
Add the ground beef to the pan breaking it up into smaller pieces with a fork.
Cook the ground beef until no longer pink.
Transfer the beef to a bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan. Cook until softened.
Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute.
Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and rice to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Return the beef back to the pan.
Stir in the diced tomatoes and beef stock.
Bring to a boil.
Cover the skillet and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Sprinkle the cheese over the casserole and cover to melt the cheese.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH STUFFED PEPPER CASSEROLE
It’s also fantastic alongside a piece or two of crusty bread!
- Swap out the beef for ground turkey or chicken to lighten things up a bit.
- Go VEGETARIAN and substitute the ground beef with beans, lentils or tofu crumbles.
- Skip the cheese if you need to be dairy free.
- Low carb your casserole by replacing the rice with Cauliflower Rice.
To freeze your Stuffed Pepper Casserole, cook the casserole as directed until the rice is tender.
Transfer the casserole to a freezer safe container, without the cheese, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat your casserole, allow to thaw at room temperature and then reheat in a skillet.
Top with the cheese and continue cooking until melted.
MORE EASY CASSEROLE RECIPES
If you love this casserole, you may also love this Stuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole. It’s one of our all-time favorites and so simple to make.
Get the Recipe: ONE POT STUFFED PEPPER CASSEROLE
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 large bell peppers, seeded and diced (any color works)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 32 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium beef stock
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the beef to the pan and break up into small pieces with a fork. Cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl and set aside. Drain all but two tablespoons fat from the pan.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pan cooking until softened, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, italian seasoning, rice, garlic powder, onion powder and tomato paste. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan. Add the tomatoes and beef stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the casserole and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the casserole and return the lid. Turn off the heat and allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve immediately.