Pumpkin Crunch Cake (Pumpkin Dump Cake)
Pumpkin spice and everything nice, that’s what this Pumpkin Crunch Cake recipe is made of. Pumpkin filling is topped with cake mix and butter then sprinkled with nuts before being baked into a fall dream come true.
I warned you the other day when I shared my Pumpkin Whoopie Pies….fall is coming so I’m pregaming with all the pumpkin recipes I can handle.
I LOVE pumpkin spice everything….I’m that person. So, if you are like me, then you’re not mad about it. This Pumpkin Crunch Cake is everything you want it to be. And it’s super easy to make, too.
PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE
If you’ve never had a Pumpkin Crunch Cake before, this recipe is like magic. It’s, basically, a pumpkin dump cake recipe but just with a better name.
Just like this Blueberry Dump Cake, this recipe is made with cake mix and a few other ingredients.
It’s a layer of pumpkin filling which reminds me of pumpkin pie and is topped with cake mix that bakes into a crunchy, sweet topping reminiscent of a streusel. The chopped pecans just take it over the top.
HOW TO MAKE IT
This Pumpkin Crunch cake couldn’t be easier to make and you can make it in advance which makes it fantastic for holidays and parties.
Here’s how to do it:
Beat the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt together in a large bowl until smooth.
Pour the pumpkin mixture into a 13×9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the pumpkin filling and top with pecans.
Pour the melted butter over the cake mix.
Bake the cake in a 350˚F oven for 1 hour or until done. (the top will be crunchy and golden brown.)
Allow the cake to rest for 30 minutes or overnight before serving. If you’re not serving the same day, refrigerate your cake until you’re ready to serve.
HOW TO SERVE IT
We also like to top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream when it’s still warm….and, again, with the caramel sauce.
TIPS FOR PERFECT PUMPKIN CRUNCH CAKE
This Pumpkin Cake is super easy to make but these simple tips will make it the best it can be.
- Pumpkin – I used my homemade pumpkin puree to make this recipe, drain it well before mixing with the other ingredients. You can use canned pumpkin puree with excellent results to save time.
- Cake Mix – I used my favorite Yellow Cake Mix for this recipe but you can also use a Spice Cake Mix to add more fall flair!
- Spices – I used a homemade Pumpkin Spice blend I make every year. I highly recommend it but your favorite fall spices will work in a pinch.
- Butter – Be sure to use unsalted butter for this recipe.
MORE EASY PUMPKIN DESSERTS
If you like this pumpkin crunch cake, you will also LOVE these easy Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins. They’re a staple all year long and they’re super simple to make.
Get the Recipe: Pumpkin Crunch Cake Recipe
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 18.25 ounce package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F (175˚ C).
- Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt together with a hand mixer or whisk.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the top of the pumpkin mixture and lightly pat down.
- Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the cake mix and then drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 60 to 80 minutes or until done.
- Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes before serving.